Yay command Chroot

Hi
My graphical interace stuck and I’m only access tty terminal
I think my graphic driver is the problem because inxi -Ga showed no driver loaded even nouveau so i want to try

yay -S nvidia-470xx-dkms

But for some reason I can’t Run it in tty terminal so I’m make a live boot USB and use chroot but yay can’t run with root access
How can I solve problem?

Hi,
The package you want to install is in the AUR.
so as your user name

1. yay pamac-aur
2. pamac build <your package>

Hope it helps and good luck

Why on earth would you want to install Pamac for this? Completely unnecessary (and it wouldn’t work).

@mmtech use the option -u with arch-chroot to specify a non-root user:

arch-chroot -u your_user_name
Actually, you can just mount a drive and use the live image user for this, no need to chroot.

That will let you build a package using makepkg:

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/nvidia-470xx-utils.git
cd nvidia-470xx-utils
makepkg

Then chroot, and cd into the build directory, and use pacman -U to install the package(s):

pacman -U nvidia-470xx-dkms-470.141.03-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst nvidia-470xx-utils-470.141.03-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
7 Likes

The following commands should install nvidia-470xx-dkms for you

sudo pacman -S --needed base-devel git

git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/nvidia-470xx-utils.git

cd nvidia-470xx-utils

makepkg -si

1 Like

Normally, yes, if the user has access to TTY, but apparently he doesn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks I missed that part

1 Like

I doubt this is the proper way of doing this, since the target system has most probably different system files (libraries etc) than the booted system.

I think the proper way should be by using su, or runuser or equivalent methods/commands.

I have successfully used su -u <NormalUserName> with an AUR helper to install packages on a chrooted system.

I may be wrong, so please confirm, or give more info concerning my doubts. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

I’ve done the same

3 Likes

Thank you all
Problem solved and another rised
It’ll be another topic

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.