XFCE icon change procedure

I have gone through the procedure stated in the xfce wiki, regarding changing the icon themes in the DE, but i fail to spot and work with the directories listed in that.

The procedure i am following is :slight_smile:

Icons

• Extract the theme in ~/.icons

• System wide installation in ${sysprefix}/local/share/icons
  • Optional: run gtk-update-icon-cache -f -t ~/.icons/<theme_name> to create an icon cache 1)

• If the theme contains scalable icons ( ~/.icons/<theme_name>/scalable ) make sure you have librsvg installed

• Select the theme in the User Interface Settings (2nd tab, Xfce 4.4.x) or in the Appearance Settings (2nd tab, Xfce 4.6.x)

Source: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes

An i doing something wrong ?

Not if you’re following that! Mostly I just dump them in ~/.icons, and then select them in Appearance. Occasionally I find them as package in the AUR, and just install them with yay. Both work, so far always. I have sometimes run the command to create an icon cache, but it’s been pretty hit-or-miss. No problems so far.

I suspect this isn’t a whole lot of help! What icons are they, and whence are they sourced? Can only guess without that I guess…

1 Like

Thanks!
I managed to understand that the default directory for moving the themes in Endeavour (perhaps in other distros as well) is currently the /usr/share/themes, which should also be system-wide. Moving the themes there and doing a fast “shutdown -r now” seemed to have solved out everything.

simple log out would do the job too… and i would use ~/icons/ so you can handle as normal user (~ is users home “tag” = /home/yourusername/.icons/ )

1 Like

Alright, you got a point there. Thanks, i will go for ~/icons/. I assume that in case ~/.icons does not exit, i will create in on my own, correct ?

exactly :wink:
mkdir ~/.icons

and if you find icon-theme as a build on AUR you can take it from there:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&K=icon-theme
yay -Ss icon-theme (search for themes)
yay -S boston-icon-theme (install one)

1 Like