[Workaround] Firefox Not Loading Websites With DNS Over HTTPS Enabled

If you are facing this issue, here is a workaroud:

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2022/01/fix-firefox-960-and-9502-not-loading.html

3 Likes

EDIT: Made the title a bit descriptive.

2 Likes

Hmm…I have DoH enabled and I am not having that issue. Does it only apply in certain circumstances?

Here is what I found on another site in relation to this issue. Perhaps it gives some more explanation:

Does The Bug Affect Specific Versions?

No, users of Firefox 94, 95 and even the newly released 96 versions have reported the issue as well, so it seems to be a bug related in how Firefox itself makes connection to an HTTP3 site (Which looks like the telemetry website owned by Mozilla at this point).

Some users have reported that they have never experienced the problem, though. This could be because they have already turned-off the telemetry options as seen in the picture above.

Who is Affected by the Firefox Bug?

Basically most of Firefox users it seems.

You can take a look at the Reddit thread which was removed after receiving hundreds of upvotes and comments. This issue is the #1 post right now at Hacker News as well.

Various users on different social media platforms confirmed they are affected too, and you can see how people from different regions of the world are talking about it on Twitter.

Oh, it doesn’t impact people who have telemetry disabled.

All my copies of Firefox have telemetry disabled.

4 Likes

Firefox ran riot once on my desktop today (very high CPU usage; > 100% and not loading websites). Killing, closing etc. didn’t solve the issue. After rebooting, it ran smoothly again. I don’t know if it was related to this issue. Didn’t have any issues with version 95 at all.

I was affected by this earlier today. Not very happy with Mozilla right now… :rage:

Same here, similar to what happened to @Trekkie00. Just thought FF crashed for some reason.

According to Mozilla, this is the solution, just reboot after updating.

1 Like

Always been a Firefox fan but one thing that is annoying me to the point of switching is the fact it will not play videos on the msn site. Chromium or edge has no problem. Doesn’t work on Windows or Linux.

Strange. I just went to https://www.msn.com/en-us/video and they play for me on Firefox.

To me, this would be a benefit.

However.

Me too. It must be one of your add-ons @ricklinux

Have no add ons. For some reason these videos just don’t play on Firefox. They just sit loading forever spinning and do nothing. It’s been that way forever. All other browsers work. Fresh install too. All other sites videos work just MSN. MSN Canada, MSN US don’t matter!

I am not sure what to say. It works fine for me here on firefox. MSN videos play without issue.

Also, you have no add-ons?! Not even an ad-blocker? You should get some!

I have had them but I’ve tried everything and I like Firefox the most but because i"m in Canada MSN is kind of a main page around here and the videos just don’t want to play. I switched to Vivaldi because i’m tired of it not working.

Edit: Vivaldi works fine.

Those videos are playing perfectly here using Firefox.
I guess it’s a problem with your installation (maybe missing codec or some setting in about:config).
Did you try using a new profile?
I just examined the linked video :

Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 47.8 MiB
Duration                                 : 2 min 51 s
Overall bit rate                         : 2 336 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.45.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L3.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Format settings, GOP                     : M=4, N=50
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration                                 : 2 min 50 s
Bit rate                                 : 2 250 kb/s
Width                                    : 960 pixels
Height                                   : 540 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.174
Stream size                              : 45.7 MiB (96%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 155
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=17 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=cbr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=2250 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=2250 / vbv_bufsize=11250 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Duration                                 : 2 min 51 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 1.96 MiB (4%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

Might help you in search for a solution.
Surely I can’t tell, if all videos contain the same codecs.

If one is still affected and Firefox won’t connect too many sites, check to see if you have a GeckoMain process consuming a lot of CPU. Quitting Firefox and reloading likely won’t kill this stuck process. You’ll need to kill it or reboot.

1 Like

t’s running smoothly now. Thx for the advice.

What is strange is that Firefox has been acting this way for quite some time and gotten worse. I add ublock origin and now they work no problem. I have nothing special on my installations. It’s just fresh installs nothing changed. Now they load and no spinning circle and they play. It’s not a problem with my installation or missing codecs. I don’t know why but they are working now and i tried many. They load instantly and play. The other strange part of it is it’s only the msn sites as youtube worked fine.

ublock origin is usually always one of the first addons I install. Could be why I’ve never noticed it! Though I also rarely visit msn too :stuck_out_tongue: Must be an issue with ads or trackers they add to their videos if that fixed it.