Winetricks Unable to Install Anything

First thing first, pressing winetricks in lutris does not do anything unless I turn on Use system wintetricks. I created a prefix with lutris. I cd into it and set my WINE and WINEPREFIX to the proper wine bin and prefix. Then when I try to install let’s say dotnet48 I get

winetricks dotnet48
Executing mkdir -p /home/zangoku/Documents/schoolstuff
------------------------------------------------------
warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Using winetricks 20220411 - sha256sum: 69856050cfe9d97902dfd68c1ad42a10a4be0fe76660744126d7e3ed75610495 with wine-5.12-15601-g091f6fe77fd (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
Executing w_do_call dotnet48
warning: You are using a 64-bit WINEPREFIX. Note that many verbs only install 32-bit versions of packages. If you encounter problems, please retest in a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX before reporting a bug.
Executing load_dotnet48 
warning: This package (dotnet48) is broken in wine-5.12-15601-g091f6fe77fd. Broken since 5.12. Upgrade to >=5.18. See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49532 for more info. Use --force to try anyway.

and when I check what’s installed I get

winetricks list-installed                                     
Using winetricks 20220411 - sha256sum: 69856050cfe9d97902dfd68c1ad42a10a4be0fe76660744126d7e3ed75610495 with wine-5.12-15601-g091f6fe77fd (Staging) and WINEARCH=win64
warning: /home/zangoku/Documents/schoolstuff/pantheon/winetricks.log not found; winetricks has not installed anything in this prefix.

So what worked is I ran a winetricks --self-update. I cleared the winetricks cache before that multiple times. Then I was able to install it with winetricks --force dotnet48. Somehow it thinks it’s the wrong wine version when it is not. I had to rerun that to uninstall it because dotnet48 did not install properly. Then I reinstalled dotnet38 with the same command it installed properly. I don’t understand any of this, but I got it to work…

why not just use bottles? A much better system than Wine which i have never personally used. I have not run a windows program since I stopped using Windows back in 2005.

Here is a link to some explanations and uses for bottles

I probably need to look properly at how to use bottles, but every time I tried, I press run and it stops right away.

This doesn’t work for everybody. Try waiting an hour for the stupid Bottles to finish “processing”. I’d rather wait 30 minutes for the “winetricks corefonts” to finish working and another 30 minutes or more for “wineserver” invoked by “winecfg” to give up or whatever. I’m a hobbyist laptop music producer who uses freeware and a bit of ageing payware. Bottles has never helped me about it, I think the Flatpak is a sick joke.

I’m just going by information I find. I haven’t used a windows program since my move to Linux. I think if you want to run windows programs you should just run them in windows.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.