Wine/Proton applications not launching

I’m having some issues getting anything working with wine/proton. when launching any games on steam, the game is shown as being open, but no game window shows up, nor does anything else. I’m unable to run winecfg either, it simply errors immediately and exits. I’ve looked through the recommendations on the Arch wiki, but while that did fix my initial issue of Steam not even letting me open games, it didn’t fully fix the core problem.

Logs from Steam:

winecfg output:

If any more information is required, I’d be happy to send. Thank you!

inxi: https://clbin.com/6yddL

Which packages did you select when installing steam? It’s saying no driver can be found, check that you selected the right packages

Proton games were working a while back, but suddenly stopped working not too long ago. I installed both the 32-bit and 64-bit mesa libraries, as there was previously an error involving glxinfo not being found, but that did not solve this issue.

I think you need the NVIDIA-dkms not mesa. I think the mesa drivers are for and AMD GPU (someone correct me if I’m wrong). I can’t check properly as I am currently away from my computer.

1 Like

recheck version proton under Steam

tried with both latest experimental proton, proton-ge, older versions. (as well as wine 7.7)

Follow these 2 guides to make sure you have everything

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/how-to-get-out-of-wine-dependency-hell/

You need to remove mesa for nvidia GPUs and use the Nvidia driver. make sure no amdvlk bits are installed.

sorry if I’m confusing anyone :confused: - just in case anyone is confused: I already have the nvidia drivers installed, and have always used them. Games were previously working, but suddenly stopped (I forget what I was doing when it all stopped working). I have the mesa libraries installed, but I’m not using them as a driver.

Try uninstalling those.

The only ones that I could remove were both mesa-demos, and the lib32 utils. All the others are required for various other packages I have installed (including my DE).

Full Steam logs after uninstalling:

GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
pressure-vessel-wrap[40340]: W: Binding directories that are located under "/usr/" is not supported!
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingControllerConfig with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/proton-ge-custom'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 1877960 "/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/proton-ge-custom'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'", ProcID 40492, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 1] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
pid 40496 != 40493, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
pressure-vessel-wrap[40493]: W: Binding directories that are located under "/usr/" is not supported!
ProtonFixes[40638] INFO: Running protonfixes
ProtonFixes[40638] INFO: Running checks
ProtonFixes[40638] INFO: All checks successful
ProtonFixes[40638] INFO: Using global defaults for "Trimps" (1877960)
ProtonFixes[40638] INFO: No protonfix found for "Trimps" (1877960)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1653101165)
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1653101165)
Game process removed: AppID 1877960 "/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/usr/share/steam/compatibilitytools.d/proton-ge-custom'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'", ProcID 40492 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40639
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40638
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40494
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40493
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
Proton: Upgrading prefix from GE-Proton7-18 to 7.0-100 (/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/compatdata/1877960/)
Proton: Prefix has an invalid version?! You may want to back up user files and delete this prefix.
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingControllerConfig with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'\0
Game process added : AppID 1877960 "/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'", ProcID 40827, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
pid 40831 != 40828, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
Game process removed: AppID 1877960 "/home/uwu/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1877960 -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Trimps/Trimps.exe'", ProcID 40827 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40979
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40978
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40977
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40976
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40829
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 40828
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
<removed old prefix...>
GameAction [AppID 1877960, ActionID 3] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
Proton: Upgrading prefix from None to 7.0-100 (/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/compatdata/1877960/)
fsync: up and running.
wine: Using setpriority to control niceness in the [-10,10] range
[2022-05-26 12:03:40.522] [MANGOHUD] [info] [config.cpp:112] skipping config: '/home/uwu/.config/MangoHud/wine-explorer.conf' [ not found ]
[2022-05-26 12:03:40.522] [MANGOHUD] [info] [config.cpp:112] skipping config: '/run/media/uwu/Games/Steam Games/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/files/bin/MangoHud.conf' [ not found ]
[2022-05-26 12:03:40.522] [MANGOHUD] [info] [config.cpp:112] skipping config: '/home/uwu/.config/MangoHud/wine64-preloader.conf' [ not found ]
[2022-05-26 12:03:40.522] [MANGOHUD] [info] [config.cpp:117] parsing config: '/home/uwu/.config/MangoHud/MangoHud.conf'
sh: 1: glxinfo: not found
<hangs here, looks like it needs lib32-mesa-utils in order to use glxinfo.>