Window outside window

When a CSD application opens maximized and I restore it (or unmaximize it), I get a window artifact outside the CSD window (and its client-side shadow) like this:
Screenshot at 2022-04-17 13-05-15
Affected applications: epiphany, chromium, gnome-contacts, gnome-calendar, some other CSD applications. SSD (ie decorated by window manager) applications are not affected.
Custom settings that may be related: undecorate maximized windows in MATE tweak
Note that the outer decorations only appear when the application starts maximized. They’re not present if the application starts without being maximized.
How do I fix this?

Are you using gtk3-classic?

Have you tried a different window theme?

How is this related? Does changing that setting make a difference to the issue?

No. I used it in KDE in the past, but not in MATE.

Yes, I’ve tried several metacity themes, none of which work as intended.

Yes, when I restart MATE with this option disabled, I don’t have the issue (tested with epiphany). However, I want undecorated maximized windows and I don’t get that either. Apparently it does make a difference, I found this after searching a bit more, should have searched for maximus

1 Like

Custom settings that may be related: undecorate maximized windows in MATE tweak

I have this same issue yet I have this setting disabled. Maybe it’s something else?

EDIT: Was able to fix it by installing gtk-engines and gtk-engine-murrine. According to the ArchWiki you can also take it a step further by uninstalling mate-netbook, be warned though that this package is what allows you to modify window rules, so I suggest only doing this if installing the aforementioned GTK engines didn’t solve the problem.

It happens with me too, with Firefox, but not with Google Chrome. The only way I found to avoid it happens is selecting Title Bar from Customize Toolbar….

I tried installing the gtk-engines package (which is for GTK2 themes), but it did not have any effect. The mate-netbook package does not exist in the repository, so I could not uninstall it.

I know it’s been months, but I have suspicion that this is not because of the theme, but because of rendering…