Will Wayland be fixed through updates?

Hi friends.

A few days ago I updated KDE 6.0, but unfortunately my Wayland broke and now it appears all black, with a resolution of 400x600 (or lower), and I can only make the application search and the console appear with ctrl+ alt+t.

I was able to reboot from the console and thanks to our friends on the forum I was able to switch to x11org, and now I can continue using EOS from xorg11.

After several days of updates, I have tried to return to Wayland, but everything remains the same, and I have to reboot from the terminal.

So, should I keep waiting for more KDE 6.0 updates (with “yay” from the terminal) for my Wayland to be fixed? Or did my Wayland break upon receiving the update, and it’s up to me to fix it?

Maybe I should format?

Thanks in advance.

Try creating a new user account as a test. Reboot and log into that account with Wayland and see if the issue persists.

If it works, that means there is something wrong in your user config.

That seems…extreme and probably not needed.

3 Likes

If I remember well, you’re on NVIDIA? On a laptop of mine I ran into a similar behavior, BUT with my default LTS kernel boot. When I switched to current Kernel, it booted as expected. If I remember well, (again, with so many updates landing) there was an LTS kernel update yesterday, but I’m going to check if sth has changed om Monday, when I get to the office & let you know if we’re finally sharing the same issue. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Mr. Dalto, I’ll try it tomorrow.

Thanks friend, and yes, my pc is: gtx 1050 ti, i5-3470, gigabyte motherboard.

I updated a couple of hours ago, and my nvidia drivers were updated, but after restarting, Wayland still didn’t work.

By the way, I’m also having other problems on x11org, like Firefox freezing and having to forcibly close it, when for example I’m writing on our forum, but I guess I’m not the only one.

Something more I forgot to mention. On Wayland LTS kernel, I was met with a black screen & a stuck cursor. But on Wayland current kernel, a white screen opened & I tried to blindly type my credentials. And…miracle! miracle!!!. There I was booted with no issues other than the expected non functional couple of widgets+ latte dock.

1 Like

I have an Nvidia GPU too, and can confirm there are several issues with wayland and the Nvidia co-operation. So I’m using x11 currently.

Will try wayland at times to see if the problems are getting fixed.

1 Like

I created a second account this morning (not administrator), I restarted and logged in with the new account + wayland, and everything still appears in black, the only difference is that the EOS welcome screen appears, in a resolution of 400x600 or lower, and takes up the entire screen.

After closing the welcome screen everything is still black, but I can open the terminal and reboot. Also, if I move the mouse to the top left, I can open an application search engine, similar to the one in gnome).

I don’t really mind formatting, fortunately it doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to install EOS, but I always ask if there is a solution. Also, it was my fault for updating every 2 days, and not knowing that KDE was coming out that day.

In any case, I’m going to wait a couple of weeks (x11org doesn’t seem to work as smoothly as Wayland, maybe a placebo effect, but I can continue using Steam and Blender without a problem), if in 14 days no update has fixed the black screen, then I’ll format. xP

My login screen does work, I can switch between x11org and wayland, and enter my password and everything is normal. It is after entering the password that the KDE loading logo does not appear and everything remains black. But if I can see the cursor, it’s giant. xD

Yes friend, I’m going to do the same as you, keep updating for 14 days, and maybe that will fix it. If Wayland still doesn’t work, it’s best for me to format it, which won’t take more than 5 minutes.

It’s also the first time I’ve had problems with EOS KDE in all the time I’ve been using it, and it was my fault for updating so often xD. In Windows I would have had to format 20 times in all this time x’D.

Wayland has been broken since its inception, 15 years ago. It’s a flawed concept. Nobody can fix that.

Bugs on Plasma will be fixed, eventually, but Wayland will always remain crap.

2 Likes

I would give the following a try first.

I am not having any issues with Wayland and Nvidia. I did have to do a couple of things to get it working properly.

1. Edit your /etc/environment file and add the following.

If you are using just an Nvidia GPU.

#
# This file is parsed by pam_env module
#
# Syntax: simple "KEY=VAL" pairs on separate lines
#
#This is so QT applications run properly

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="wayland;xcb"

# This is here to make nvidia play nice. Open Source your drivers.

GBM_BACKEND=nvidia-drm
__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia
ENABLE_VKBASALT=1
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=nvidia

# just in case you loose the hardware cursor

WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1

This one is for if you are using an Optimus laptop like mine.

#
# This file is parsed by pam_env module
#
# Syntax: simple "KEY=VAL" pairs on separate lines
#
#This is so QT applications run properly

# This is here to make nvidia play nice. Open Source your drivers.

GBM_BACKEND=nvidia-drm
DRI_PRIME=pci-0000_01_00_0
__VK_LAYER_NV_optimus=NVIDIA_only
__GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia
ENABLE_VKBASALT=1
LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME=nvidia
__NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1

# just in case you loose the hardware cursor

WLR_NO_HARDWARE_CURSORS=1
  1. You need to add some hooks to your ram disk that EnOS and Arch uses to start the system. Since I am on Arch, I use mkinitcpio.

Edit the /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and add the following to the MODULES line.

nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm

If you have anything else in there, you can add these to the end.

1. Regenerate initramfs with sudo mkinitcpio -P

NOTE: I am not familiar with dracut. If someone could please translate this step for dracut, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

1. Enable the Direct Rendering Manager with a kernel parameter in GRUB.

Edit the /etc/default/grub file.

Look for the line that starts with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT and add the following text in the quotation marks.

nvidia-drm.modeset=1

so it will look similar to this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nvidia-drm.modeset=1"

If you already have kernel parameters on that line, you can place the above last.

1. Update GRUB’s configuration:

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

1. Reboot and choose Wayland on the log in screen.

All of these configurations will not affect a working X11 setup. So you can go back and forth between both without any issues.

I hope this helps.

Edit: I removed some not nice words from the /etc/environment example. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Thank you friend! Unfortunately I had other problems that accumulated after upgrading to KDE 6.0, and I had to format my EOS.

I solved it by starting the EOS ISO from the 2nd option “NVIDIA installation”, and installing EOS thus solved the black screen and the other performance problems that my EOS had, now everything works perfectly.

Thanks for your help all friends!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.