Will it be safe to update to Gnome 41 when it's released?

Yup, I’ve tested a few various icon themes. The distro icon is either super large or super small. I’ll report an issue to the papirus-icon-theme team since that’s my favorite, must use theme and see what they think about it, if it’s an issue with Gnome or an issue on their end.

Edit: Posted a bug report on papirus-icon-theme here: https://github.com/PapirusDevelopmentTeam/papirus-icon-theme/issues/2865

3 Likes

My icon in the about is huge as well, using Adwaita icon/theme. Anyone recommend a good Gnome dark theme? :grinning:

1 Like

Adwaita dark is not too bad if you don’t mind it. Personally for dark themes, my go to is Yaru-gtk-theme and my backup dark theme is pop-gtk-theme, I use the git versions of both of those from the AUR and they work just fine in Gnome 40/41. Normally, I’d recommend Yaru-Colors first, but the developer hasn’t yet had the time to update it to support Gnome 40/41, so I can’t yet recommend that until it’s updated, but that ones my favorite hands down.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

I kinda like the big EOS Icon! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Do you still need this? I’ve been trying GNOME on my (older) Optimus laptop and GNOME automatically offloaded 3D applications to the Nvidia GPU (although, that was also with a “forced” Wayland session).

2 Likes

Honestly, I have no clue, I wish I knew! For myself at least, I just want Gnome to use my proprietary nvidia drivers, I don’t ever want/need to switch them to either hybrid or integrated, since those don’t offer the performance that using the dedicated nvidia does. Everything seems to be working as it should under Gnome 41 at the moment, so I’ll probably just stick with this gdm-prime package for now since I’ve had it since when I first installed EndeavourOS back in July. If you want to test swapping the gdm-prime with the regular gdm package in Gnome 41, feel free to tinker! I don’t think a whole lot of users have this particular setup, so it’s difficult to find the exact information to be of more help, so your guess is as good as mine. Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful.

2 Likes

I’ve got an older Clevo P650RG with integrated Intel and discrete nVidia cards and was fortunate enough to have the option to disable the integrated video via BIOS settings. Not sure if you have this option or not - depending on BIOS for your hardware. In this situation it allowed be to just run nvidia-installer-dkms with no bumblebee, no optimus, none of that stuff … and no need for gdm-prime.

Did you I install eos with nouveau and then install nvidia-dkms?

Do you have to use xorg with Nvidia?

It’s been a while since I did the install, but I might have had to do the nouveau install first … I am using xorg - I occasionally try Wayland, and it occasionally works but more often I have strange things happen (like the Gnome Extension manager app opening but not being visible?)

I think I am going to do the bios thing, just have a bad time with the hybrid card for two days. Also on kde everything scales weird all the time when connecting to external monitor. Had a good experience with gnome Wayland but that was on another machine with Intel Xe. Not Nvidia.

Not that I need it right now, but I’ve launched optimus-manager in Gnome 41 with gdm-prime and it’s all still working. I don’t think I’m gonna change anything right now unless I notice some issues creep in, but so far things are running flawlessly I gotta say. I haven’t checked my BIOS in a while, I’m pretty sure my Acer has some of the most limited BIOS options around, but I’ll give it a check next restart later tonight; thanks for the heads up.

Hi Scott,

Great question. I ended up running into the same dilemma with my T430s which is a Intel\Nvidia hybrid. I wasn’t gaming on Linux back then (just trying to get better battery usage), so I would follow Jonothon’s post about setting up the Optimus setup.

So like you, I ended up pinging the package owner on updating the gdm-prime package (then cross fingers and toes for no blow ups).

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gdm-prime/

I feel sad that all the tinkering really turned me off from buying anything with Nvidia in it (unless I lose my mind and go back to Windows).

1 Like

just wondering why make your system overly complicated by using AUR for system type packages when using a rolling release like Arch. If you want something safer maybe use a Distro that is not rolling. with updates you never know if something will break but it will not break if one sticks with system repos rather then AUR. in way you are risking an unstable system on future updates. updates are going to continuously occur with Arch.

I touched on this topic for you over on post #16 the other day in case you missed it, the direct link to that comment is below:

Direct quote from that #16 post:

I wouldn’t say it’s overly complicated to swap out two packages: gdm and libgdm for their AUR equivalents, which in this case is gdm-prime and libgdm-prime. The process itself to do this is actually very straight forward, use yay to install gdm-prime and it automatically knows the gdm package already on my system conflicts so it uninstalls that for me and pulls in the additional libgdm-prime package which is needed as well. These two AUR packages are not heavily modified, they just add a very small patch to make gdm work with optimus-manager, which helps to allow me to use nvidia headache free. And so far that has been the case, thank goodness! No headaches, no migraines!

I don’t know if you’ve come across any of my other posts, but one of the very main reasons I came to EndeavourOS was not for a system that just works, but I came here to learn as much as I could about the Arch ecosystem. I accept and expect to get my hands dirty from time to time. I like to take proactive measures with my system instead of problems blindsiding me, which is why I had originally started this topic in the first place. Because at the very least I knew it could possibly be an issue. So I took some initiative to try to understand and if possible work/fix this problem BEFORE the problem found me. Luckily the update worked without a hitch!

But even before I updated, I already had a handful of awesome users here ready to get my back in case anything went wrong. A sense of community like that is a very wonderful and powerful thing, and I for one am grateful to have found that here in this community. I came to EndeavourOS for it’s close to Arch nature, for the rolling release, for the security and stability, and I stay because learning more about my system has been a very fun experience and this community has many very helpful and extremely knowledgeable users and when you wrap all of that together, there isn’t any other distro I’d rather be one :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, do you remember what real 'bugs were on post-install not just not knowing how things worked. This might be helpful for newcomers to EOS and in general new comers to Linux.

What things went 'wrong that you needed help with? is there a flaw in the install process that we should be aware of? Once again I think it is a mistake to use LTS kernel rather then a newer kernel that happens when doing pacman -Syu. if you feel that you must use LTS to preserve stability of your system then when you finally update your kernel mismatches in system dependencies might occur. Luckily your system is not a production system! anyway glad you are getting a good learning experience with Linux. just a note as an experienced Linux user, over complicating your system without knowing the long term effects can lead towards an unstable system. so be careful !

Many others would disagree. If you don’t need the features of the latest kernel then LTS is a perfectly good option.

In what situations would that occur? It would be a bit odd if things broke given it’s the same thing as updating from 5.14 to 5.15, or 5.4 to 5.10?

2 Likes

I’ve posted almost over 50 different topics now in this community. Now that’s not a lot mind you, but talking about all of them here is a bit outside the scope of this topic, which specifically relates to gdm-prime and Gnome 41 only. But you are more than welcome to read the lists of the topics I have posted to gather an idea of what bugs I have come across, and also some topics where I’m
just learning the basics.

For that follow this link:
[ https://forum.endeavouros.com/u/scotty_trees/activity/topics ]

As I stated previously here on post #16

Now, IF you said it was a mistake to use btrfs, pipewire, or wayland for example, then I’d be inclined to agree with you as these technologies aren’t yet 100% production ready. However, suggesting to not use an LTS kernel? I’ve personally seen the LTS kernel fix many users issues here and on other distros. I myself have experienced less issues on an LTS kernel on average than compared to the mainline kernel. As @jonathon stated, it’s a perfectly acceptable option to use the LTS kernel. Last I checked distros like Ubuntu, Elementary, Linux Mint, etc use the LTS kernel by default and I highly doubt that is a mistake on their part since the LTS kernel offers the most stability as well as the longest support cycle. If the mainline kernel works best for your system that’s great, but for users with older hardware or the need for extra support, the LTS kernel is a fine choice.

1 Like

Gnome 41 was out already and I’m sure it’s fine to update it. We waited long enough. :laughing: