Will installing EndeavourOS on a dedicated SSD install GRUB/systemd-boot on the Windows EFI partition?

Hi. I’m planning to install EndeavourOS on my Windows 11 PC. I have a total of three SSD drives. Windows is installed on 1 TB NVMe SSD. I plan to install EndeavourOS on a separate 500 GB SATA SSD.
But I am skeptical about the EFI partitions. I will create a distinct EFI partition on the 500 GB SSD, and then install EndeavourOS on that SSD. Is it possible with the EndeavourOS’s installer? Will it still install GRUB/systemd-boot on Windows 11 EFI partition stored on the 1 TB SSD? Because I don’t want to waste my time on repairing and rebuilding Windows EFI partition just because a Linux installer messed up my Windows 11 EFI partition and made Windows completely unbootable.

Is it safe to install EndeavourOS without disconnecting the Windows SSD? As I said earlier, Windows is installed on an NVMe SSD and the only way to disconnect an NVMe SSD is unscrew it and I absolutely hate it (primarily due to losing screws but also the risk of licking the screw).

Yes, just be sure to make the 500 GB disk the installation target (use the drop-down menu in the installer).

No, if you leave the 1 TB disk out of it altogether it will not do this.

It is perfectly safe as long as you are careful with your choices in the installer.

Before you begin the installation, it will allow you to review all the changes it is going to make. Just double-check that the 1 TB drive is not even mentioned in that list and you should be good to go.

Are you sure? I would have to test to be sure, but I think it always try to re-use an existing EFI partition.

If you use manual partitioning, yes, it is possible.

If you choose systemd-boot, it will never use the windows ESP because it will be too small.

If you choose grub, I think it depends on which installation method you use. Some auto select an ESP and others offer you the choice of using an existing partition or creating a new one.

I just installed EndeavourOS on my 500 GB SSD (created a separate EFI partition to make sure it doesn’t reuse Windows EFI partition to install systemd-boot). And sure enough, it didn’t make any changes to my Windows EFI partition on my 1 TB SSD. Now my MSI motherboard boot menu shows that my 1 TB SSD only has Windows boot manager. Linux boot manager is instead installed on my 500 GB SSD. So it worked!

1 Like

Thanks for that information anyway. I selected systemd-boot as well.

I assume they are choosing “erase disk” and targeting the 500 GB drive they mentioned. I would expect the other disks Calamares is able to find should not be modified in any way, no matter what is on them. Is that not right?

If you choose “Erase Disk”, then yes, it seems to. However, if you choose, “Replace Partition” or “Install Alongside”, it will not do so.

No, I used manual partitioning option since I already have data on that 500 GB SSD. I only allocated a total of 64 GB of space for EndeavourOS, including the EFI and swap partitions. But I have successfully installed nonetheless.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.