Why Linux and your OS chronicle

What is the reason you are change and use Linux Distributions?

my first contact with linux was after i bought a laptop with Windows Vista. It was a big disappointment for me and i just have to remove it. Why Linux? it’s simple to answer this question, the OS is mine and i can configure it as i want. it’s open source :grinning:

OS chronicle:

Amiga 500
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Ubuntu
Mint

Windows 7 Dualboot with
Manjaro
Windows 10 Dualboot with
Arch

currently:
Laptop 1
Windows 11 + EndeavourOS

Laptop 2
Windows 10 + Arch + Kali + FreeBSD

3 Likes

Because out of all operating systems, it is the one that is the least awful. I could spend an hour telling you why Linux, especially the kernel, is just a badly designed piece of software. All monolithic kernels are.

But at least it is not after me. It does not have intentional design decisions to screw the user. Linux is not malware, unlike the other two alternatives, which are designed to cause you harm, intentionally. Linux respects the fact that I own my computer, and acts accordingly.

9 Likes

My reason to switch from Windows to Linux are pretty simple. The main reason due to which I made the switch is because of troubleshooting the errors there. I tried a lot to follow the methods via their forums, but I felt that the solution provided there only works on their system, not on mine. If somehow I broke up the OS, it won’t get boot up, then dad consults the technician, who always charge some money to fix it, which I didn’t liked.
Another reason is poor support and upgrades.
Also, after each new version upgrades, system compatibility is changed, due to which I am left out to use vulnerable OS.
Now, why I switched here.
Firstly, Linux is freely available, which comes best support. Secondly, there are no viable alternatives to Linux. Third, after using Linux for more than 2 months, I feel I had made no mistakes by unburdening the Windows load, as I able to do all of my tasks which I used to do there, since all the software which I use are Open-source.
Most Important reason is that I am able to learn what I am doing over the system, despite the fact that I had never used Linux in the past. As this is new concept for me hence, learning this will not trouble me as I had to start from Zero. In initial days I do faced couple of troubles, but after receiving proper guidance here, I learnt what was needed to be done at that reference frame. As of now, I read the Wiki and Forums to look up for some facts which I need, try on my own, fail, then try again. If there are some new terms which I don’t know, then I join the conversations to learn about them, then note it in the text file.
Like this, I make my custom Wiki, which helps me in my journey here…
Thank you.

6 Likes

Thank you for the detailed report, it’s very interesting.
it’s nice to read that you note the learned stuff in a text file, i do it too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I was poor. My dorm room was broken into and my new Compaq laptop was stolen. Mom gave me her old Dell laptop from work with no HDD. Someone gave me a HDD, and I could afford Linux, not Windows.

7 Likes

I know what you mean, i am software-developer :slight_smile:

i mostly agree with your opinion, but the technology is young and is at the beginning. the first computer was bigger than a house and now you can put your computer in your pocket.

1 Like

I definitely agree with you. As in my case, I am using 2010-11 model of Lenovo desktop which has 3 GB RAM and Intel HD processor. I was also running HDD which came by default until couple of years back.
Windows removes compatibility of older devices with new release of their OS, while MacOS is not affordable, hence Linux is most robust and viable option.

2 Likes

Regarding OS kernels, there ARE a few systems that actually have modular kernels either available or standard; I know at least a few UNIX implementations in the past offered that capability; I have not seen it, searched for it, or know with any certainty who or what still uses a modular kernel system or design.

Though the stock Linux kernel is a monolithic one, it’s possible to replace the stock Linux kernel, though I don’t know anyone who’s done so, replacing a monolithic implementation with a modular one, or even a completely different design; I do know a few that are distribution specific, and I also know at least one alternative kernel producer not tied to a single distribution.

3 Likes

Why Linux?

At first, because my laptop was getting too slow on Windows. Now, I wouldn’t return to Windows, because I have everything I need on Linux, I’ve found that is much more stable, customizable, has better performance and, yes, it’s free! :partying_face:

My OS Chronicle:

• MS-DOS 3.3 - Used at school and job, along with PathMinder, the best piece of software I’ve ever used, with file manager, text editor and many other cool features
  • MS-DOS 5 - I’ve got my first powerful PC 286, 2mb RAM, 40mb harddisk
  • MS-DOS 6 + Windows 3.1
  • Windows 95
  • Windows 98 SE
  • Windows XP - Didn’t like ME and 2000
  • Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS - It was 2008 and I needed to test some environments to launch a web, so I’ve tested some servers and, finally, I’ve decided to use CentOS 5 (not sure about version, my memory is not that good)
  • Windows Vista - Came with my new laptop and I’ve used only to downgrade to Windows XP
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8.1
  • Windows 10
  • Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon - My very first Linux desktop for daily use on dual boot, but I’ve never booted again on Windows
  • EndeavourOS Atlantis Neo - I hope I’ll stay here for a long time

I was stuck on Windows because of my work, all my customers were using Windows and I was afraid to jump to Linux. Then, last year, latest Windows 10 updates was really scaring me, my old i5 5th gen laptop got slower every time and I’ve started to test Linux distros on virtual machine.

My first (and wrong) selection was an LTS distro, thinking that it’ll be pretty stable and found that Linux Mint has great repos, almost any app I needed was there; but the jump from 20.2 to 20.3 got me some issues with apps that weren’t working anymore. The solution I’ve found was to install those apps from Flatpak. I don’t have anything against Flatpak, I just don’t like it.

Besides, updates (system or apps) were coming at least 2 or 3 times a week. Instead of wait for the next realease, I thought it’d be better to go for a rolling release distro and started to search and test:

• Debian unstable
  • Fedora
  • Manjaro
  • Maybe others… can’t remember :rofl:

Then, I’ve discovered EndeavourOS and instantly felt in love with it. :heart: There were some issues at first, but every one of them were originated on layer 8. The jump from virtual machine to real hardware was really easy, because I learned how to do things just using the terminal, having almost all my apps installed from repos or AUR, only MySQL and PhpMyAdmin from manual installation.

P.S. I need to work on some Arduino projects, maybe using mBlock, that is only available for Windows. I hope I can run it on virtual machine. :grimacing: :cold_face: :scream:

3 Likes

nice history Triby.

i used MS-DOS at school in the 90s.

CentOS for servers was a good solution, now i use RockyLinux for my server. it’s also from the CentOS founder.

Layer 8 is dangerous:clown_face:

1 Like

Why Linux? Bill Gates pissed me off.
OS Chronicle: Too many for too long.

7 Likes

Hello old man - long time no hear - moved ?

2 Likes

I first came across Linux at my former workplace, running Red Hat on a gateway machine that I inherited. Then I tried Suse first, then Red Hat, then Debian. The latter remained for a long time my student distribution.

2 Likes

My OS journey:

Commodore 64
Commodore 128
Amiga 500
PC Windows 3.1
Windows 95-98
OS/2 Warp
FreeBSD
Windows 2k
MacOS
Windows 10
Linux
Linux
Linux

I like to distro every year or so just to see what is out there and what separates different distro’s apart. What I usually look at first is what distro-specific tools are included.

3 Likes

My OS journey:

• Windows 98
  • Windows XP
  • Windows Vista
  • Ubuntu 8.04 - 10.04 (no dualboot)
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 8 (for all of 1 day)
  • Ubuntu 12.04 (no dualboot)
  • Ubuntu 14.04 (no dualboot)
  • Windows 10 (still use this for work)
  • Ubuntu 18.04 (with Windows 10 dualboot)
  • Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (with Windows 10 dualboot)
  • EndeavourOS (no dualboot, but Windows 10 for work).

The reason I use Linux is so I can set up a device that works the way I want it to, and I don’t mind spending days or up to a week setting it up and making sure it is configured just right. I moved away from Ubuntu to EndeavourOS because I found Ubuntu installed far too many unnecessary programs (I clog up my computer crap I don’t need just fine without any additional help, thank you very much). Also I’m a sucker for updating to the latest LTS edition as soon as it comes out, and each time I upgraded to a new LTS edition it caused my system to fail catastrophically. So I figured a rolling release would actually be more stable.

4 Likes

Oh my, the list of Linux distro’s I’ve used is longer that my original list of all OS’s.

I will say that I currently use EndeaverOS, Garuda, and Solus Linux on desktop/laptops and Debian on my hypervisor, VM’s, and all RPI’s.

2 Likes

I began experimenting with Linux in 2018 looking for a lifeboat in case Windows ever became unusable. For example, I decided I’d never be forced into creating a Microsoft account. For me, that makes it unusable. Windows 11 has pretty much confirmed my fears, and I’m not planning on giving it even a test drive. I’m done with paying for desktop spyware & adware.

I have discovered that Linux is much more than a spare tire for Windows. It really does make my computers more fun & interesting. I like how light & fast it runs even on old machines. I like that I own my OS and I can do whatever I want to with it/to it. I appreciate the simple, streamlined DEs like Cinnamon, Xfce, and MATE. I’m amazed at the seemingly endless collection of software.

• Commodore 64 (hated it!)
• MS-DOS 3.0a
• MS-DOS 4
• MS-DOS 5
• MS-DOS 6
• Windows 3.1
• Windows 95
• Windows 98
• Windows 98SE
• Windows 2000
• Windows XP
• Windows 7
• Windows 8 (for 1 or 2 days, does that count?)
• Windows 10
• Zorin
• Mint
• Lite
• Voyager
• Ubuntu
• Manjaro
• MX
• Garuda
• EndeavourOS

I haven’t distro-hopped in over a year. I’m settled for now on Windows 10 (at work), MX, and EndeavourOS.

5 Likes

Why Linux? - Privacy and Freedom

OS Chronicle:

Windows 98 → XP → Vista → 7

Learned about Ubuntu and installed it when my first laptop couldn’t run Windows 7 quickly anymore.

Learned about other distros and dual-booting on my second laptop.

Been dual-booting since (for the most part).

Ubuntu → Kubuntu → Linux Mint

OpenSuse
Mandriva → Mageia

Antergos - the first time I felt confident with Linux. So much so, I went more than 6 months without Windows.

Manjaro and KaOS - When I decided that full KDE and/or XFCE compatibility was a requirement for any distro I would use going forward.

By that, I mean that the distro itself provided the theming and up-to-date/latest features.

However, some Manjaro updates broke my system (twice in the last 2 years) and I lost some important files… Unforgivable. :unamused:

Yes, I know I should have had backups, but still…

Mx Linux - currently installed and locked away on a portable SSD as a backup/rescue OS. Not for everyday use and I update it once a week; that’s it.

EndeavourOS - current with Windows 10 (which is only installed because I need Marvelous Designer). One day, I’ll become so good with Blender I won’t need it.

One day.

I’d say I’ve been dual-booting for the last 10 years with Windows 7 or 10. Though sometimes, particularly with Arch distros, I would run only Linux for months.

I’ve also tried Frugalware, Pop! OS, Ubuntu Studio, Ubuntu Budgie, FreeBSD, OpenSUSE, PCLinuxOS, KDE Neon, and Fedora during this time. However, none of these lasted more than a month or two before going back to one of the prior mentioned ones.

Also, the HDD that got most of these installs is now dead because of all that formatting. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

EDIT: I have an NVIDIA card so KDE doesn’t play well with it. So, recently I went searching for a DE that could really match KDE. I landed on Cinnamon. Now, until I buy a new machine with AMD (or if NVIDIA starts playing well with KDE), I’m never going back.

I never knew I could have a fully customizable experience with a DE outside of KDE that still didn’t feel like I was missing something (I love XFCE and Budgie, but they’re nothing in comparison to these two).

Anyway, if anyone reads this and has an NVIDIA card that you can’t do without and you want a DE that has everything you need (without the KDE stutter), KDE is not your only option. Give Cinnamon a go.

3 Likes

Exactly! As an artist and designer, do you know how much stuff I have that I don’t even remember that I have that I absolutely no longer need because I don’t remember that I have them?

No need for bloatware. :unamused:

3 Likes

Why Linux?
Short answer:

That’s why.
Other considerations: As I was becoming more involved in Folding@Home I was building more computers, and buying more and more Windows licenses was becoming ridiculous.
In addition to using various versions of Windows(Win 3.1~Win 10) began using Unix-like OSs starting in mid 2003:
Redhat 6
Fedora Core 3 or4
Mandrake 10
FreeBSD 5.x
Suse 9.2
Debian 3
Ubuntu4.10
Gentoo
Arch
More Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu until the present.
Antergos
Manjaro
Endevouros

2 Likes