Why Gemini-cli stopped working with Gemini API and Interactive sign in (Google Account)

Thought I might share an issue I have been working on and off where gemini-cli would just spin and spin like I had run out of free tokens. Note that I was using gemini-cli from the Arch Repository.

The short of it is if you are a freemium user the following authentications no longer work even if they succesfully authenticate and provide you with a token:

  • Sign in with Google (Interactive)
  • Gemini API key generated from Googles API site.

The messaging you get from Gemini does not indicate this at all. But if you delete the ~/.gemini directory in your home directory and force authentication again, you will see that Google wants you to move over to the Google Antigravity product (https://antigravity.google/product/antigravity-cli/).

The AUR has an install here:

I have added a comment to the Arch Gitlab of what I found. Also request that they adopt Antigravity instead.

Hopefully this helps other people who are experimenting with AI tools. I had a very useful session troubleshooting and optimizing my MangoWM configuration files with Noctalia.