Why do you use Budgie DE

@troe43 thanks for posting and asking this.

I run Budgie as my daily drive here and I have had to work through some things because I’m a little keyboard kind of guy and a click kind of guy. So when it comes to Budgie I customize some of the keybinding shortcuts to my liking but for the most part leave the GUI the way it is out of the box.

EOS Budgie is nice but came out of the box stripped down and missing some features that I would like to not have to install such as a screenshot tool, wallpaper manager (I use wallstreet control), and for me it was weird with budgie-control-center vs gnome-control-center. I was buying into EOS when they were doing that transition.

Otherwise I like the UI a ton and I tried it and loved it for a while when solus linux first lauched.

Have a great day/week/month/rest of the year

2 Likes

As commented elsewhere I would like to use Budgie, as it is GNOME without the mouse and keyboard being worn out by all the moving around the screen and clicking/typing, but it is just too quirky at present.

The Desktop is a particular problem - for example, drag and drop is incomplete, and the forced automatic order and position of icons is annoying. I have to open two nemo windows to drag from the Desktop to another folder, or vice versa.

Nemo appears to have been rather tacked on because gtk4 applications cannot be themed from Budgie (so Nautilus had to be replaced).

I hope that the upcoming 10.7 will improve the Desktop and the integration between the various parts of Budgie (original and borrowed); if it does, I will be back in a flash.

10.7 has been released and is in the Arch repos.

https://blog.buddiesofbudgie.org/budgie-10-7-released/

Certainly there are a lot of improvements - there is no need now to add applets to fill in functionality missing in Raven and the menu.

But I see that they don’t plan to improve the desktop. I worked out a hack which replaced Budgie’s desktop with Nemo’s desktop (already installed, as Nemo is the file manager) but I won’t publish it because it needs more research (for example, the icon size, spacing etc. can’t be configured at present).

1 Like
Don't you mean Solus?

Groan now I can’t get into their site. DNS problem or something, I thought I was blocked. Yes I lurk in their forum once in a while although I really shouldn’t.

All right, I posted that :point_up_2: and didn’t read the whole thread.

Sort of on-topic: my only experience with Budgie was Ubuntu Budgie. Didn’t like it. I thought Unity released a short time ago was a magnitude better. To me, Budgie doesn’t make me want to like GNOME any more or any less. I’d rather avoid it. I don’t like KDE Plasma that well neither but… we Linux users are really spoiled for choice.

I’ve just tried it out, but at the moment I prefer Cinnamon as a Gnome 3 fork/alternative. It’s certainly improving though.

1 Like

I use Budgie because I can’t stand KDE. :grinning:

1 Like

I like Budgie a lot and i also like Cinnamon. But my main systems run Plasma with Wayland also now. Never any issues with btrfs on grub.

1 Like

Budgie is simple and elegant – not my words. Easy to navigate for a newcomer. If he or she digests the shortcuts it is very productive. Downside as opposed to KDE no multiple shortcuts to the same function. No Alt+F4 and Super+Q. I can tolerate this.

I use GNOME because … what else? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :rofl:

Trying Budgie on Solus because I can. Always wanted to try both and it has been a easy ride.

:see_no_evil:

Edit: Better try Budgie!

@pebcak
Once you go Budgie you’ll never go back to Gnome. :rofl:

I will never go anywhere from where I am to go back again where I already am :rofl:

Only the best is good enough for me. What else? :stuck_out_tongue:

Budgie is better than Gnome…Wait a minute …Budgie is Gnome … a better mouse trap? :thinking:

1 Like

If I’m already quite used to KDE and Cinnamon, is there a reason for me to switch or try out Budgie? Or do I pretty much have it in Cinnamon?

Boredom is always good reason hop :stuck_out_tongue: I personally like Cinnamon more.

1. Celtic magic–(Ikey Inside®)
  2. more versatile than Cinnamon
    2.5) more practical than Plasma
  3. absence of K-packages and KDE components
  4. easist desktop on the eyes (I’m looking at you Deepin)
  5. bug-free since parting ways with Nautilus
    cons:
    Raven needs to go to triage and get re-born/re-imagined; so much potential there

I like this! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

[/quote]

Not so sure about this?

Definitely not! Well maybe? :sunglasses:

Okay … i can go along with that. :wink:

Sure.

I could agree if something is better.

I enjoy Cinnamon but that old school Mate system settings window and the big sqare box app menu have always been off-putting to me—we all have something we can’t get used to with any DE so one man’s irk is another man’s jewel in this realm methinks.
My deep-seated K phobia comes from K-apps crippling Budgie in the past. They don’t all play nice and they don’t all come with a warning and they don’t always belong in a gnome-framework and if I try a K-app they always seem to triple my system updates like bunnies multiplying.
You are a funny guy! And I likely need a shrink! :laughing: