Who to talk to about EndeavourOS Wiki corrections?

I haven’t checked everything on the Wiki yet (which is amazingly helpful btw!), but I have come across some spelling/grammar errors that could use some fixing. Who could I message to help correct some of the issues I found?

Edit: Hmm, looks like one of the users to fix the wiki is @joekamprad :slight_smile:
I’ll comb through a bit more of the wiki as the week goes by, but the two issues I found are simple ones.

On the page: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/pacman/mirrors-intro/2021/03/

On an EndeavourOS system, Arch mirror addresses are gathered as a list into file /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.

In the /etc/pacman.d.mirrorlist file, lines that begin with a # are ignored, and then the order (from top to bottom) is repected. If a problem exists with the first entry, pacman defaults to using the next active line down.

The second /etc/.pacman.d.mirrorlist is wrong, it’s got a period instead of a forward slash after pacman.d.

On this page: https://discovery.endeavouros.com/printers/printers/2021/03/

To get full full cups with support for many different printers per default. Install this packages on top of that:

sudo pacman -S ghostscript gsfonts foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db foomatic-db-ppds foomatic-db-nonfree foomatic-db-nonfree-ppds gutenprint foomatic-db-gutenprint-ppds --needed

“To get full full cups” so probably just a typo, could get rid of one of the “full” words to make it better better :stuck_out_tongue:

There is this category

If you want I could move your post there.

1 Like

Yes please do change it, I didn’t think about the categories when I posted just now, but thank you.

1 Like

No problem. I just move it over there right away.

1 Like

Now that we are at it:

the order (from top to bottom) is repected

:mag_right:

1 Like

I guess I hadn’t got to those ones yet - thanks for the info. Now, can I remember them long enough to fix them? :grin:

2 Likes

OK - those particular oopses have been repaired - and a few more tweaks implemented on the printer post that I found as I skimmed through. I am on a long-term quest to find them and fix them - but some of them are hard to find (notice) - especially for the author! Thanks for noting any you see, and feel free to ask about ‘maybes’! :grin:

2 Likes

If you are the author of some of those, I can imagine you started typing them out all correctly, but being Canadian I also imagine globs of rouge maple syrup all over your keyboard as well, thus causing all the errors at hand, which brought us to this post before us today :stuck_out_tongue: (kidding of course! thanks for the edits mate!)

Thank you for bringing this up, most of the wiki articles with that kind of spelling/grammar mistakes are written by either Joe, Manuel or me and we aren’t native English speakers, so thanks to moderators like @freebird54 and others who often skim those articles through and correct them.

To everyone, just keep notifying us when you stumble upon these errors and we will fix it. :heart:

2 Likes

No worries, it’s quite alright! I know people all around the world use Linux, and we all speak many different languages. Being a native English speaker, it is definitely very nice that we can all come together here and communicate about our passions in a language that we can all understand, even if some of us aren’t language masters it’s okay. I know I’m still new here to this community, but if you ever need a second pair of eyes to proofread any articles or wikis, feel free to ask me I don’t mind and I won’t even charge a fee either :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It’s probably me, but I could’ve sworn I’ve seen you from the beginning in the EOS community…

The more the merrier, if you really want to do this, just send me a pm and we can make this happen :rocket:

1 Like

Yes, I know where I’ve “seen” you before, Twitter!!!

EDIT: Btw, I’m not stalking you, I just have a photographic memory, it can come across as annoying or creepy but I have no ulterior motive or anything…

1 Like

Oddly enough, right before Antergos was discontinued I had attempted to install it a handful of times, but the Cnchi installer failed on me like 90% of the time then. I never got it to work unfortunately. At the time I was using Solus (also another great little rolling release distro with a great community), and I was testing out some of the rolling distros that I thought looked the most interesting, with Antergos being one of them. If I remember correctly, I think I ended up on Manjaro for a few months at that time until the problems I had with the latest kernel or nvidia drivers in Solus got resolved. Nvidia driver updates were a lot worse then than they are now, but still gotta be careful sometimes! Crazy to think that time was like over two years ago now and here you guys are and here I am now :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds good to me! I’m not a coder by any means, more of a Linux user enthusiast, so I do enjoy helping out in any of the ways that I’m able to.

Haha, my Twitter handle is the same as here. I haven’t recently tweeted as much as I used to, but I used to comment on some of the latest Linux news, generally I follow some distros and some developers as well as some music bands, but I haven’t used it much this year. You’ve got a really good memory for sure though lol

1 Like

Hey guys, over here:

There is no entry for XFCE.

Perhaps because when it was written it was under the impression that a user installed the offline version aka Xfce would be installed by default, so it wouldn’t have made sense to have included that how to install Xfce if you already have it installed. But thinking outside the box for a second, if a user uses the online installer and installs Gnome DE for example, then having the information there to install Xfce would make sense in that case. I’d vote it probably needs to be updated/added, but it’s possible there may be a reason(s) why it wasn’t included. I’m sure others can weigh in on the matter of course.

Would probably need to add to the list something like:

sudo pacman -S xfce4 xfce4-goodies

You are correct. It used to be on the old page.

1 Like

This article was written around the time we launched our first ISO, this was just the offline themed Xfce installation only. It was actually written as a guide to install the other DEs, until the online installer was launched.

I will add Xfce to it.

2 Likes

It’s done.

3 Likes