Which privacy browser?

But not for Linux :smiley:

Only for macOS and Windows it seems, atleast on the start

1 Like

Seems counter-intuitive.
If users really cared about privacy, they wouldn’t be using Windows in the first place…

1 Like

This is not clear to me either.

Will they have different engines per platform?

Yes seems so. On Windows it will Chromium/edge based and on macOS webkit/safari

OS-provided rendering engine? Such a thing does not exist. I mean, the Linux kernel is bloated, but it’s not that bloated… :frog:

3 Likes

Yes sounds like a load of :ox: :poop: , most likely he means direct, native api for acceleration / rendering etc…Otherwise it sounds weird.

1 Like

If I want to surf the web in real privacy I use badwolf

1 Like

LOL, how is using Edge in Windows private in even the slightest way?

Lets not bother forking / maintaining / writing our own, lets just use the engine built into the core of a heinous OS predominently used as spyware.

FFS.

2 Likes

Well I still wouldn’t draw conclusions as the comment was pretty vague as they said they will use Edge/Chromium so propably it will be Chromium on Windows and WebKit/Safari on macOS.

I just don’t see that they actually have enough resources to even maintain those but good luck to them.

Where did you get that from? I’ve just read the blog post and they just mention “desktop” but no specific OS. Or is this a conclusion from the “OS specific rendering engine” part of the blog post?

Mentioned here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/21/22848133/duckduckgo-browser-pc-mac-beta-privacy-default-settings

1 Like

Thx for the link @inffy ! I rarely read the Verge those days.

Anyway, I have the Android app installed for quite some while now. There are things I like and things I don’t like. I like that it feels fast and really smooth (scrolling), I like the Fire button that lets you erase data quickly without having to go into settings first. You can also “fireproof” sites you regularly use so those data won’t be erased.
I also like that it shows you how many trackers have been blocked and it even gives you details about those trackers (see screenshots). And, it seems to use a different way of adblocking because it’s the only browser I found that works with some sites that usually detect adblocking.

What I don’t like is that it’s rather simple and doesn’t offer some features I usually expect. For example, you can’t set a homepage, there’s no quit/exit button and you can’t (re)sort your bookmarks.

Screenshot_20211223-194224
Screenshot_20211223-194237

1 Like

You then should replace this with bromite and the systemwebview with bromite systemwebview.

I have used Bromite as my primary browser until a few month ago when adblocking wasn’t working anymore after a update. That was when I switched to Brave. But yeah, I still have Bromite installed and I think it’s one of the best browsers available for Android.

Not about privacy but securiy.
And please, don’t shoot the messenger :wink:

:thinking:

2 Likes

A few things about that video:

• That wasn’t a browser security test, it was a Windows malware filtering test. He is deliberately downloading malware and seeing which browsers block it. That isn’t even remotely what I would care about as it relates to browser security.
  • He is testing out of the box setups of all three browsers. Depending on the audience, that may make sense or may not make sense. I certainly don’t think that most of the people in this topic use their browser that way.
  • I haven’t looked at smartscreen specifically but often those malware filters have privacy implications and need to be disabled anyway.
5 Likes

Thanks @dalto for the post!
Elucidating as always!

2 Likes

Somewhat OT:

Linux Mint signs a partnership with Mozilla

2 Likes

Long back i installed Mint once in my life and hated the home page hijack. Somehow, i hated it so much, i hopped to another distro, even though i am used to google ecosystem.
Can’t reason why i did it, even now.

I saw that and was wondering why Mozilla would be tossing money out for distro partnerships. Unless Im wrong and there isnt money involved but i feel like the funds are better spent elsewhere considering most ship with FF anyway :man_shrugging:

1 Like