What's the difference between ttf-ms-core vs ttf-ms-win10?

Hello! I am wondering what is the REAL difference between ttf-ms-core vs ttf-ms-win10? they both look the same, I am a bit confused because I need this for my studies

What is ttf-ms-core?

The difference between ttf-ms-fonts and ttf-ms-win10 is that the former is a copy of the fonts that Microsoft made available in the past. The latter is a way to install the fonts you extract from Windows 10.

3 Likes

Thank you! one more thing, is there any consequence if I install both or only one of them?

They conflict. If you try to install ttf-ms-win10 it will ask to remove ttf-ms-fonts

2 Likes

Thanks!

Just for future reference, you can get a lot of information about a package with yay -Si packagename

For example, here is what yay -Si ttf-ms-win10 returns:

Repository      : aur
Name            : ttf-ms-win10
Keywords        : None
Version         : 10.0.19042.789-1
Description     : Microsoft Windows 10 TrueType fonts
URL             : http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/product.aspx?PID=164
AUR URL         : https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-ms-win10
Groups          : None
Licenses        : custom
Provides        : ttf-font  ttf-tahoma  ttf-ms-fonts
Depends On      : None
Make Deps       : None
Check Deps      : None
Optional Deps   : None
Conflicts With  : ttf-vista-fonts  ttf-tahoma  ttf-ms-fonts
Maintainer      : Bevan
Votes           : 107
Popularity      : 1.075695
First Submitted : Fri 21 Aug 2015 02:39:19 AM CDT
Last Modified   : Sat 06 Feb 2021 03:55:37 PM CST
Out-of-date     : No

The “URL” provides a link to what you are installing. The “AUR URL” is al link to the AUR page where you can see more information about the package including the comments from other users.

In addition to showing you all the dependencies, the “Conflicts With” line gives you a list of packages in conflicts with.

5 Likes

Nice info. New Endeavour user here. Just now installed libreoffice and ttf-ms-fonts. Looking for what is ttf-ms-win10. Using yay -S and yay -Si now. Thanks.

Welcome to EOS!

We do kindly ask that you just make note of the dates of things. Generally if it hasn’t had a reply in 3 years. . . you should just read, take it in and move on.