What kernel and driver to choose for Wifi realtek rtl8821ce?

Hi , I am new and have experience with linux only 6 months . I need to know What kernel and Where to choose , also I need driver for wifi realtek rtl8821ce . Thank you .
I have also problem to run add/remove software ( I cant find it ) , I need enable AUR and Flat pack repository . I have Endeavour XFCE on laptop . Thank you .

Hello my friend, the vanilla arch kernel supports the rtl8821ce. you don’t need to do any extra stuffs.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome @Fit

There is no add/remove software. You are referring to a GUI tool. Nothing like that is installed. You could install something of that nature from the AUR using yay. The current kernel is installed unless you chose at installation to install also the lts kernel or another kernel. You don’t need a different kernel for your WiFi. You need to install this package with yay using the terminal.

yay -S rtl8821ce-dkms-git

I would suggest you read more information on discovery.

Hey mate, Is this necessary?. My pc has this rtl8821ce chip. and it works out of the box.Works in both lts and normal version.

Not sure if it’s necessary. It is a package available. Not really sure what the problem is without more information.

@Fit

Is it possible for you to give us some additional log info? Post the links and or the output from the terminal for the second command.

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
inxi -Na 

Device-1: Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
vendor: AzureWave driver: rtw_8821ce v: N/A modules: rtw88_8821ce pcie:
gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: 4000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
chip-ID: 10ec:c821 class-ID: 0280
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s
lanes: 1 port: 3000 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:8168 class-ID: 0200

It shows the module as rtw88_8821ce loaded. Do you have rtw88-dkms-git installed then?

Yes I have realtek rtl8821ce , maybe I did something bad in istallation of driver , sorry .

The wifi icon shows only a few sites , its not good .

Also icon of battery power on down panel not showing real stage of battery power .

Welcome to the EndeavourOS forum. I hope you enjoy your time here.

No need to enable the AUR. One needs to access the AUR using the terminal command yay as suggested by @ricklinux .

As for flatpak:

https://flatpak.org/setup/EndeavourOS

Please notice the last sentence of the above

Note: graphical installation of Flatpak apps may not be possible with EndeavourOS.

Go to

Scroll to the bottom of the page of the app you want to install, and it will give you the
terminal command for intstallation.
Do a copy from the web page, then in a terminal window do paste to get something like this,

flatpak install flathub org.videolan.VLC

Pudge

2 Likes

This is the module shown for the rtl8821ce. So what i was asking is if you installed anything to make wifi work? Or did it automatically work but you have issues with it. The package rtw88-dkms-git is another package hence why i was asking.

So the WiFi is working but you are having trouble on some sites. Not sure if that is a WiFi issue? Is the WiFi stopping working or it’s just the websites you are having trouble accessing?

Internet download speed is lower than should be . Download speed is 1,7 MB/s and it should be 3,5 MB/s . Maybe I bad installed driver for Wifi realtek rtl8821ce , sorry I am still beginner .
Thank you .

Okay i understand this. But i also asked if you installed any package to make WiFi work or it just automatically worked and you are just having issues with the speed? I’m assuming this is the case.

Edit: You could try the git package.

yay -S rtw88-dkms-git

You need to blacklist one module and also set power management for the WiFi. You can use the text editor nano. Create the following file with nano and add the options.

sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/rtl8821ce.conf

add

options rtw_pci disable_aspm=1
blacklist rtw88_8821ce

To save the file

crtl + o then enter

to exit nano

ctrl + x

Reboot and i hope this works for you.

Thank you very mutch for help, I decided to move back to Manjaro , thank you . On Endeavour os me not works also battery showing % , it always freezed after new start . Hope you understand , sorry my English . Thank you very mutch .

Hope it works well for you. Anytime you you are welcome here.