What is the Easiest Remote Desktop Server to Setup?

I have need to remotely access my desktop computer from my laptop while on the road. I have my Firewall setup to give me a VPN connection into my home network. I looked at the Arch Wiki and it appears there are several options to pick from for remote desktop access. I just need advice on what would be the easiest remote desktop app to get setup on the server (GUI preferred but I can also do CLI).

I do have SSH access setup and working. I was contemplating doing X11 forwarding but I haven’t used it in a very long time. Really the only thing I need to access is Thunderbird that is on the Desktop computer. If X11 forwarding is easy enough, I will also consider that route but really I’m looking for the path of least resistance as I need this working by Friday.

Thanks!

1 Like

The “easiest” is probably nomachine. It has been a while since I tried it but last time I did there was very little configuration. I installed it and more or less “just worked”.

2 Likes

heard of X2Go quite a few times, but never used it myself…

1 Like

Looking at one of the items on this list:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Remote_desktop

Any one of these suggested in particular?

I use X2Go and I’m a fan. Simple setup, seems to work

I used nomachine in the past and it worked well, but then it transitioned to non-free and became a pain to use.
Since then I’ve used Xpra.

I would go with X2Go, worked perfect for me for years.
Nomachine worked very well as well.
Either of these two will likely make you happy.

I spent a day trying to get TigerVNC working but could not get it to work. Stubbornely I was ignroing the suggestion to use X2Go thinking it was some sort of paid program. Looked into it after getting frustrated with TigerVNC and realized it was exactly what I was looking for. A few simple commands referncing the Arch Wiki and I’m up and running. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

I used RealVNC before I switched to Wayland. Now nothing seems to work.

Sunshine + Moonlight works kinda, but the remote view is unusable cause you can’t see your cursor or zoom in on the display.

Sorry to lift an old post, but, should we have a separate discussion for different methods of remote computer access on this forum?

Personally, I still haven’t found a good enough method for accessing my desktop remotely if using Wayland.