What do I need to run a windows virtual machine?

As the methods are undocumented but widely used and the Windows 11 licence is still required, on previous experience Microsoft will probably not try to reverse or stop them.

(The really useful one in Rufus is re-enabling domain join i.e. you can use a local username and do not have to use an outlook.com account to log in).

1 Like

Sure you can install it but you need a license number to activate it. Thatā€™s what i meant! :wink:

normally you can test windows for 30 days, there is a trick to extend this test period. When 30 days are up, enter the following command in the console and youā€™ll have another 30 days.

slmgr -rearm

you can extend the test period to a maximum of 120 days.

with

slmgr /dlv

you can check how many days the test license is still valid.

1 Like

Who said anyone wanted to test it? I just gave the information as it is. If you want to install it and use it eventually you have to activate it. :man_shrugging:

is just an info if you want to test it longer, nothing more. I extended it myself because I wanted to try something and the 30 days werenā€™t enough. as I said is just an info.

1 Like

Isnā€™t this a simple img to iso conversion issue?

" Boot you ISO as always." I canā€™t, thatā€™s the point. Continued here.

Restoring the usb Win recovery drive has been solved: I am able to boot with Windows install, using only the image backup. Now I will investigate the interplay with VM.

I get this:

$ ccd2iso win-live.img win-live.iso
Unrecognized sector mode (e6) at sector 0!

and this Ģ¶nĢ¶eĢ¶vĢ¶eĢ¶rĢ¶ Ģ¶cĢ¶oĢ¶mĢ¶pĢ¶lĢ¶eĢ¶tĢ¶eĢ¶sĢ¶ takes a very long time to complete (pending):

$ iat -i 'win-live.img'  -o 'win-live.iso' 
Get info from win-live.img

This post has the same problem and has solved it by setting BIOS to UEFI. I have no idea of the connection between the two.