What do former Manjaro users like about EOS?

:100:

4 Likes

Have you ever had a girlfriend (or sig-other) that constantly carried on about all her ex-boyfriends in excruciating detail?

If you had, then you wouldnā€™t be wondering why others find this type of incessant carrying on about your ex very distasteful.

Why donā€™t all the ā€œMā€ refugees (I include myself in this group) give it a rest already. Nobody wants to hear about your ex.

13 Likes

This community is open to constructive talks about other distros, Manjaro included. The many distros out there are our brothers in the Linux world, allowing everybody to bask in this wonderfully diversified universe. Also these talks happen to take place in the Lounge area of the forum where things are even more relaxed than the normal general relaxed attitude of this forum.

Bashing other distros is however not tolerated here. Shilling for another distro might be distasteful if hugely excessive but tolerated to some extent. But sharing opinions about other distros shouldnā€™t necessarily be bashing or shilling. Comparing features is in my opinion constructive.

Also I want to add I support calling a distro by its name. Thereā€™s no shame there and Iā€™ve said it before and say it again Manjaro name should not be censored.

I think itā€™s important to put things into perspective: In this whole so called ā€œManjaro exodusā€ about 80 to 90 extra people have joined the EOS forum (80 to 90 people more than the normal user acquisition rate, which fluctuates naturally anyway). While these users have their own reasons to be discontent with some of the Manjaro decisions, they are a small percentage of the EOS user base and I can only assume an order of magnitude smaller percentage of the Manjaro user base.

Which means Manjaro is still loved and respected by a huge number of people. There is a tremendous amount of work that got poured into it and it still commends a lot of respect for that, therefore Manjaro is not a word to be censored here.

16 Likes

Hardly anyone here has ever claimed the opposite. But we as former users of this distro (and who knows what the future will bring ā€¦) should not, as @tbg has so aptly described it, always talk about our ex. Respect is required. But pure comparisons should still be possible. We are very happy to have been received so friendly here.

So far I have only read this term from YOU.

1 Like

I guess things will calm down by themselves once the pain goes away. It was a love relationship that ended there after all. It just needs time. And understanding from the rest of us.

Itā€™s quoted, exactly because itā€™s not that.

4 Likes

What I really love and appreciate are some kind of ā€œstepsā€ in what I would call my ā€œcomputer-evolution-experienceā€.

My ā€œfirst stepā€ - around 2010 - was to switch to Linux, discovering Ubuntu. I really liked it (coming from Windows) and I was using Gnome. When they left it for Unity I began to search in another direction and discovered the rolling world.

This was my ā€œsecond stepā€. I have try Suse a very short moment, then Antergos but I had too many crushing issues with it (I was just too much a newbie I believe) and I ended with Manjaro. Loved it, and this is where I became more active in a Linux community (the Manjaro forum). There slowly, as it was recalled here, Manjaro became tooā€¦ ā€œcorporateā€. What I begun to dislike was the quite constant advertisement for another Manjaro brand, a new laptop, a new hardware, etcā€¦ I have bought a laptop once, from Belgium, but I was really disappointed and it was far lower then my expectations and I had to sell it as second hand after 3 months. Back to Dell.

In truth I didnā€™t realized I was ready for the next step until the leaving of @jonathon. When this occurred I first keep silence, didnā€™t want to take any side. I looked at EOS first by curiosity, at the forum, and I really liked what I saw.

So I took the last step (for now), and beside the non-corporate and friendly community (2 must for me) I love the fact that being closer to pure Arch, I am in a process to learn (again) some basics and get more and more understanding helping me to be in control of my own system. I just love it. I like the tools, but I try to use the CLI as much as possible, and I find this much more natural with EOS than with Manjaro.

Last thinkā€¦ I love the way I was accepted in this new community, and the way the people coming from Manjaro were received. Just ā€¦ Thanks to all !

11 Likes

I checked out EOS some time ago when it was still new and thought it looked promising, at the time I thought, cool an easy way to install arch. Could I take the time and install arch, sure but do i want to, not really.

Rant ahead:

Summary

I have been with manjaro for quite some time and have seen many issues in that time. Most of them were not with the community members or the OS itself. I think most of the members and the OS itself are great.

Some of the issues I saw were:

• Certificates expiring twice and their response to this issue was notā€¦lets say professional.
  • Then came the big integration with snaps which made me think, am I just using ubuntu but with newer packages?
  • There were other issues or irks I had with decisions that at the moment donā€™t come to mind but never the less were there.
  • The final one that got me to leave was the issue around @jonathon. The removal of mod status of several members who were just trying to uphold the reason why everyone had come to manjaro. It just seems like the direction of the OS was not something I wanted to be a part of anymore.

After reading their official report of the incident, it irked me just like it has many of the members. While I did not post my disapproval to that posting, it was then that I left manjaro. I have refrained from mentioning it at all here as I wished to just leave it be I feel that at some point I need to get it out so here it is.

What I like about EOS, is that it is simply Arch with some few nice to have tools and settings. I like that the forms feels like a community of people just trying to get the best out of their OS and are here to help each other reach that goal.

6 Likes

Enjoy the simply? :rofl:

7 Likes

This community is open to constructive talks about other distros, Manjaro included.

This is what I am loving about EndeavourOS and the EOS community ā€¦ i can admit that I have machines that are triple booting with other Linux flavors and Win10 without anyone chasing me down to harass me. In the end, that helps convince me to consolidate my Linux installs to EOS - I know a community where I will be able to get help if/when I need it. Hopefully, I can get to a place where I am able to pay that back by helping others.

8 Likes

I just triple boot EOS. 3 different desktops. Why? Because i like them all and these are my favorites. It also gives me the opportunity to get to know the idiosyncrasies of each because they are different. When i feel like it i try something else.

Edit: I was a Manjaro user once upon a time.

5 Likes

I just triple boot EOS.

life goals! ā€¦ now I have something to aspire to! :slight_smile:

Life is too short to not have goals. I know i miss a lot of them! :laughing:

3 Likes

Why not 3 user accounts ?
Itā€™s easier and can be updated at once

In that case Manjaro is not my ex . I am not abandoning it . My next machine most probably will have manjaro installed :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: . I am loving both EOS and Mj . About the girlfriend thing , "I think OSes are more serious business than GFs " :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Not for digital simulants like me, ā€œexistingā€ in a virtual ooniverse. Mind you, if the hamsters powering the server farm tire & expire, things would go a bit pear-shaped in hereā€¦
:crazy_face:

To the threadā€™s question:

Late last year i converted my Tower from Manjaro KDE Testing branch to Arch KDE via archfi, with superb hand-holding by a certain shell-based community member who i shanā€™t embarrass by naming [see @anon3337769, i told you i can be trusted]. It is simply superb, i love it & shanā€™t be changing.

That said, if a Sliding Doors moment ever came my way, & i found myself still on MJ & wanting to change [which certainly i would, consideringā€¦ ahem], then without question that putative change would be to EOS KDE.

For maybe 18 monthsā€™ish purely for fun & learning i had been setting up VMs to test all the various Archie distros i could find that provided GUI &/or script-based installers. Whilst i shanā€™t say i tried every one in existence, i did try a lot, documenting their strengths & weaknesses from the perspective of my use-case. Once i first heard of the formation of EOS i added its first ISO to my list & tried itā€¦ but it did not go well & i marked it down. However i kept following the progress online & downloading susequent ISOs, noting all the improvements over time.

By the time of the endeavouros-2020.04.11-x86_64.iso EOS had hit the sweet spot for me, & passed my checklist for acceptability. All prior ISOs had failed the mandatory out-of-the-box requirement for me; Calamares HAD to support manual partitioning with gpt/uefi setup & LUKS-home partition. All prior ISOs had failed when trying to do the LUKS-home part. This ISO succeeded.

From my working notes:

Itā€™s a pretty minimal vanilla Plasma, & pretty much stock Arch but with a few cute & handy EOS extras.

Archfi gives me greater installation control granularity, but [if Sliding Doors] next time iā€™d use EOS for its nice tools, & then as a bonus iā€™d be more completely a part of this fine community, instead of a slight impostor as now.

12 Likes

Iā€™m not so sure about the slight impostor status - you are using a close-to-original Arch-based system - so all the things discussed here apply! :grin: Iā€™m here with an Arcolinux (leftover) Garuda (testing) and a couple of bare Arch installs to complement the EOS installs I already have - and I fit in here as much as anywhere!

Enjoy, and watch out for those sliding doors - I hear thay can give you a nasty pinch!

2 Likes

So, I also ended up here from Manjaro. . . I just beat everyone here by a few months. I migrated to Arch on one of my computers back in April and loved the lack of bloat compared to Manjaro. I really disliked their views towards snap packages - Iā€™ve seen them speak on a few youtube and heard them on several podcasts, and it almost feels like they are being paid to promote snaps. . . Maybe Iā€™m stretching that, but I donā€™t know. I really donā€™t like this chummy thing Canonical and Microsoft have going on, and it makes me very nervous about snaps.

Anyway, Iā€™ve kind of always really wanted to use Arch, and combined with my thoughts on a few things, and just the general feel that I need to remove a number of things from the normal install, I figured Iā€™d go Arch. I did, and it just felt. . lighter. I really like not having packages or programs when I open my menu and think WTF is that for?

So, I loved Arch. I really liked the idea that Endeavour was not a custom version of a DE. Itā€™s KDE, or XFCE, or whatever. You donā€™t get a pre configured DE. And, I was being lazy and didā€™nt have a ton of time, so I decided to install Endeavour instead of another Arch install. I wanted to do a little DE hopping prior to going through the effort for Arch first and make sure the DE for this laptop was where I wanted it to be before hand. So I ran Endeavour for a few months on here, finally cutting ties with Manjaro.

Iā€™m full Arch at this point, but to be honest, thereā€™s very little difference between this Arch KDE and the Endeavour KDE unless I pull out the neofetch. And thatā€™s really the best part of this. You can truly experience Arch and the lightweight simplicity even if youā€™re not much beyond a beginner. Itā€™s just fantastic.

Manjaro was great for me. The community was fantastic - which is a big huge bonus now since most of the folks I respect and have learned from or communicate with on some sort of regular basis have ended up here anyway. And at no point did I have to uninstall snaps, hear about snaps, hear anyone promoting snaps, and that makes me feel like people value Linux and safety here more than just making a dollar or promoting something. It feels like a great new home distro.

13 Likes

I completely agree with that. Manjaro is a ā€œso to speakā€ sister distribution. It has accumulated a lot of knowledge that we can also utilize as an EOS user. That is why the name Manjaro does not need to be censored, but it is not desirable to display it in too negative a color.

2 Likes

Manjaro was great for me. It was the rolling release distro that I needed, it had the Cinnamon DE and got a, for me, good default setup that made things work.

Eventually I switched to EOS because I needed a alternative that also provided the Cinnamon DE and I wanted to stay on Arch.

I donā€™t want to install pure Arch. I donā€™t want to do all that work to get up and running and EOS fulls that gap. A beautiful installer for Arch and then I am good to go.

And now that my install script is tweaked and adjusted for EOS, I almost have the same exact experience as I had on my Manjaro.

In short, I like that EOS makes installing a near pure Arch easy.

4 Likes

But there are many of us who use multiple systems in parallel, but that doesnā€™t stop us from helping each other here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes