What do former Manjaro users like about EOS?

Welcome to the fun :balloon::tada:

2 Likes

No not Fun reality now that is fun

Not from what i’ve witnessed in 9 years It was at 1st. Now has moved to far away from Arch that compatibility comes into question on every stable update,
Testing is fine and unstable is even better,

2 Likes

Just a friendly reminder that the title of this topic is “What do former users like about EOS”. Lets try to head back towards that.

If the thread turns into “The reasons I am frustrated by Manjaro” we will be forced to close it. We try not to close threads here and let everyone have a free and open discussion whenever possible.

Please help us keep it on track.

18 Likes

OK. I have only run the live demo but I liked it. It was fast and smooth. I generally run a very vanilla system because I do a lot of coding. I am a big fan of the AUR as well. Arch produces the best implementation of the Qt programming environment on Linux. This weekend, I will install EOS.

gary

6 Likes

My favorite part about Endeavor is that feeling of freedom. So far, I don’t think anyone has suggested, nevermind promoted snaps to the community at large. I didn’t have that at Manjaro. The feeling that privacy is more important than monetizing the distro.

I love that this distro forces you to look at what could be considered a privacy concern. Bluetooth isn’t installed by default. If you want it, you need to actively make the effort to install it. You know it’s a privacy concern and have to consciously make that choice.

I really like that EnOS makes you continue on in the Linux journey. There’s not many terminal centric distros geared towards the advanced beginner or intermediate user. Everyone else seems to be GUI everything, or like complex compile from source.

And the best part is I feel like I’m at the end of a long trip, I’m back home with the folks who have made my Linux experience possible having a beer and watching the glow off on the horizon of what’s left of what once was.

Edit; just a slight bit for clarity.

18 Likes

I will look forward to your experience as you begin to use it in a productive environment.

12 posts were split to a new topic: Is Linux easy to use?

Since we seem to going into a pretty deep sidebar I split that conversation out to a new topic, Is Linux easy to use?

3 Likes

Which is why…I am hanging out over here now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Precisely why I had misgivings elsewhere. EndeavourOS is closer to Arch, and just from testing, it runs cleaner, and faster. I am willing to take a performance hit for something with a material benefit. I run Fedora because no one else offers SELinux out of the box, with a stable policy that does not interfere with daily use. I am willing to take the minor performance hit for enhanced security. I am not willing to take that hit for Snap packages, or Apparmor. These days I want to fiddle with the little things less, particularly if a distro comes configured close enough to my liking out of the box. I will be migrating one of my laptops to EndeavourOS as soon as the new SSD shows up.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s my reason for switching too. The changes at Manjaro have prompted me to think more about my Linux journey and I’m going to take Phil’s advice and switch. I really like what EnOS are doing.
Thanks heaps guys for continuing to make this distro and continuing to support it. Also, thanks everyone for the friendliness you have displayed here. Although Kadee seems to have gone off on her own adventure & I will miss her humour, this can now be my new home :blush:

11 Likes

Welcome!

1 Like

Welcome!

2 Likes

Welcome!
Have a nice flight! :rocket:
:enos:

2 Likes

Welcome @RegularBloke!
endeavour-welcome-wish

4 Likes