What are you listening to right now?

honka_animated-128px-36

2 Likes

I just listened to the entire album, and I live to tell the tale. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

https://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/09/365-days-267---.html

This article helped me to appreciate her artistic intent:

2 Likes

That album always gets me in a great mood! I use it as the friday-evening-cleaning-house music.

Another great one:

2 Likes

Tip:

a nice start into the world of Outsider Art music is the collection Songs in the Key of Z, vol. 1-3.

1 Like

Another one that always get me in a great mood also, BJ SNowden in Canada.

Just for the ethics, from what I’ve seen of interviews and such she’s cognitively in the “normal” range and thus not taken advantage of, just highly eccentric and utterly passionate:

I think that part of what makes this recording of Boots so interesting is that it strips from the song much of what I would call its ambient appeal: the sexiness and celebrity of Nancy Sinatra, and the overproduction of the original recording. (I was thinking the same thing as I listened to Mme St Onge’s covers of The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and BJ Thomas. The hit versions are “great songs,” for sure, but not only because of the songs themselves.)

Context means a great deal. I read recently that Lee Hazlewood originally intended Boots to be sung by a man. It would have then been a very different song, indeed.

One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/a-qa-with-nancy-sinatra/

Jimmy Bowen, who was head of A&R at Reprise, put me [Nancy Sinatra] together with Lee Hazlewood. One day Lee and our producer and arranger Billy Strange came over to my mother’s house, where I had been staying since my breakup with Tommy Sands. Lee auditioned songs for me. I particularly liked a song he played that only had two verses and I asked him if he could write a third verse. He said, “It’s not really a girl’s song. I sing it myself onstage.” I told him that coming from a guy it was harsh and abusive, but was perfect for a little girl to sing. He agreed. When he left, my father, who had been sitting in the living room reading the paper, said, “The song about the boots is best.”

The article above embeds this video, which I remember watching on TV with my family:

My father loved this song for reasons, surely, that have as much to do with its ambient qualities as with the song itself.

4 Likes

Great observation!

About Mme St Onge: I dabbled in music and sang in a coir, in younger years. To my ears, she’s clearly a reasonable trained singer with a solid base technique.

So there are two possibilites:

-she’s got the base technique but the eccentricity of her personality just render her incapable of moderation, to great effect. Or, rather, it it is in unconventional places, haha!

-the recording is some sort of oddity. The orchestra is clearly capable. This is a group of musicians having a night out drinking, and then they decided to have some late night drunken fun some place where recording was already set up and accessible in another project.

There are rumours and assertions floating around on the net about her identity, but none has been verified to my knowledge. It is a mystery, and a great one!

2 Likes

To my ear - sounds about right :rofl:

1 Like

In any case, I LOVE that album!

2 Likes

Swing that mead horn!

1 Like

I guess that I should warn you that the first song below is not safe for work (and it might upset anyone triggered by references to sexually aroused hamsters, or suicide, or both). It’s weird.

Captain Tonic released only two CDs, as far as I know. I own both CDs. I like both CDs. I’m weird.

3 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

Haydn’s famous “Springteufel” (Jack-in-the-Box) quartet:

1 Like

julio is hittin for me this week

1 Like
2 Likes