Weird bluetooth behavior KDE xwayland

This is one of the weirdest bluetooth behavior I have encountered.

Steps how this behaves for me:

1. I connect the bluetooth headphones to the system (I hear short pop when that happens)
  2. I watch YouTube, Netflix, or listen to radio/streaming service
  3. I take a break from watching, still with my headphones in ear, just pause or do some other work and I don’t play anything for some X minutes
  4. I start playing something again (new video, or something) and there is no sound. Headphones are still connected, I can check status on them, see that they are connected, just no sound being transferred. THINGS ARE NOT ON MUTE (I did check, and double check)!!!
  5. I disconnect and connect headphones and start watching/listening, this time sound works.

This is without a doupt the weirdes behavior I have experienced. I just put up kde instad of gnome. Did not experience this on gnome or any other device.
Headphones are Mii earbuds S2
inxi

System:
  Host: ProX5 Kernel: 6.2.1-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma
    v: 5.27.2 Distro: EndeavourOS
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: SLIMBOOK product: PROX-AMD5 v: Standard
    serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: SLIMBOOK model: SLIMBOOK v: Standard serial: <superuser required>
    UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: N.1.06GRU06 date: 05/25/2022
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 48.2 Wh (54.0%) condition: 89.3/91.6 Wh (97.5%)
    volts: 11.4 min: 11.6
CPU:
  Info: 8-core model: AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics bits: 64
    type: MT MCP cache: L2: 4 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 1450 min/max: 1400/4370 cores: 1: 1800 2: 1400 3: 1400
    4: 1400 5: 1400 6: 1400 7: 1400 8: 1400 9: 1400 10: 1400 11: 1400 12: 1400
    13: 1400 14: 1800 15: 1400 16: 1400
Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD Lucienne driver: amdgpu v: kernel
  Device-2: Chicony Integrated IR Camera type: USB driver: uvcvideo
  Display: wayland server: X.org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.8
    compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: amdgpu unloaded: modesetting
    dri: radeonsi gpu: amdgpu resolution: 1920x1080
  API: OpenGL v: 4.6 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer: AMD Radeon Graphics (renoir LLVM
    15.0.7 DRM 3.49 6.2.1-arch1-1)
Audio:
  Device-1: AMD Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Device-2: AMD ACP/ACP3X/ACP6x Audio Coprocessor driver: N/A
  Device-3: AMD Family 17h/19h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
  Sound API: ALSA v: k6.2.1-arch1-1 running: yes
  Sound Server-1: PipeWire v: 0.3.66 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
    driver: r8169
  IF: enp1s0 state: down mac: b0:25:aa:4e:4c:5b
  Device-2: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi
  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 14:85:7f:0a:6e:73
Bluetooth:
  Device-1: Intel AX200 Bluetooth type: USB driver: btusb
  Report: rfkill ID: hci0 state: up address: see --recommends
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 465.76 GiB used: 37.47 GiB (8.0%)
  ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Crucial model: CT500P2SSD8 size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 464.78 GiB used: 37.39 GiB (8.0%) fs: btrfs
    dev: /dev/nvme0n1p2
  ID-2: /home size: 464.78 GiB used: 37.39 GiB (8.0%) fs: btrfs
  ID-3: /var/log size: 464.78 GiB used: 37.39 GiB (8.0%) fs: btrfs
Swap:
  Alert: No swap data was found.
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 46.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 43.0 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 376 Uptime: 4h 31m Memory: 15.01 GiB used: 7.08 GiB (47.2%)
  Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.25
1 Like

This is just guessing from my end:

Did you try using a different kernel yet (e.g. lts)? In the past, there happened to be kernel-regressions with regards to bluetooth, so trying a different kernel might help.

I keep forgetting kernel 6.1 isn’t LTS yet.
I’ll install LTS and check it out.

Edit:
I am wrong, while installing LTS, the kernel number is 6.1.14.

I’ve had several issues with bluedevil and weird Bluetooth issues as well. Might want to check KDE Bug reports also to see if there is anything relevant there.

1 Like

I’ve been experiencing this problem, as well as frequent disconnects while using my bluetooth earbuds. I switched from linux ZEN to LTS and for now it seems the problem has been mitigated on my side.

1 Like

:frowning: seem to have the same behavior on LTS kernel. So nothing has changed… :frowning:

1 Like

Can confirm, after some more testing it seems that after a minute or less of silence the earbuds disconnect if I start playing something. Sometimes they even disconnect while something is playing too which is really annoying

1 Like

There is an open bug report regarding this issue with Intel AX20x bluetooth devices which is apparently connected to linux-firmware:

Following the bug log from the link it has been around for quite a while but seems to disappear and to reappear with different linux-firmware versions.

@MarkB Do you have the same hardware?

1 Like

Weird, I wonder what is different between gnome and kde regarding this.

I haven’t tried this on xorg, but I rely on swiping gestures, so that is out of the question.

I’m having this issue on KDE plasma with X11, so it’s not exclusive to wayland or gnome

If it really still is that bug and if it is connected to linux-firmware (as suspected), it should be present across all DEs.

So, it would be interesting to know if other people with the same

have the same issue.

While on gnome, (just about 2 weeks since I changed to kde), I never had this issue. Not even once. My headphones even connected automatically if the computer went to sleep.

The current version of linux-firmware is 20230210.bf4115c-1
Last updated 2023-02-17 on the arch repo. So that might indeed be the issue here, if you didn’t have it around 2 weeks ago. If you want to elaborate you could downgrade to the previous version of linux-firmware and see if it still happens.

Edit: For downgrading to the previous package version you can use the the Arch Linux Archive with: sudo pacman -U https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/l/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20230117.7e4f0ed-1-any.pkg.tar.zst

or you use the package from your pacman cache if you still have it

1 Like

I didn’t have it from july last year to until I changed to kde :slight_smile:

This is minor issue. just an annoyance. It only takes about 1 sec to disconnect and connect again.

Well, up to you of course. It might be linked to linux-firmware. That package gets updated about once a month. So, it might solve itself.
If you want to know whether the problem is connected to this package you could do the downgrade. I think it shouldn’t cause any issues and you could just upgrade it again with your next system upgrade.

But I of course can also understand that you don’t want to play around if it doesn’t bother you too much.

1 Like

I installed it, will be testing for a few days to see if it’s fixed and report back

1 Like

I’ve had this issue before, and filed a bug report for it before. As you’ve found, this is a recurring issue with the AX2xx devices. I can confirm it affects both the AX200 and AX210.

1 Like

Hey Mark, did you get any results from your testing yet?

It still disconnects but it seems to happen less frequently

1 Like

Thanks. Let’s hope then that the existing bug reports will lead to a solution in the near future