Ways to build a usb-recovery-tool with a ISO-file

hello and good day

well it seems that i have to install the ventoy-tool

There are three utilities for setting up the media:

1. /opt/ventoy/Ventoy2Disk.sh, which is a shell script to be run from the command line.
  2. /opt/ventoy/VentoyGUI.x86_64, which is a graphical application. xauth or a similar application is needed to escalate to root if the application is not started with root permissions.
  3. Opening file:///opt/ventoy/WebUI/index.html with a web browser.

The same utilities can be used for upgrading the Ventoy installation on the drive.

Usage

Ventoy creates two partitions on the drive: one to store the bootable images and another for the Ventoy binaries.

To add images from which you can boot, mount the first partition and copy the images over.

i need to do so - in other words: i have to install this on the notebook - guess with the command line!?

but wait: see here Question about Ventoy

note: i guess that it is not that easy

So I have been researching ways to put Linux on an external SSD (currently have a Windows 10). I was recommended Balena Etcher, but found some posts on this forum about previous telemetry/leakage issues and lots of bloat. I have heard it is fixed now, but still curious about alternatives.

I’m trying to find out if Ventoy has any “phoning home” issues. I know there were some false positives before antivirus could whitelist it, but not sure on the telemetry aspect.

Any opinions or alternatives would be appreciated. I like the idea of DD but it seems to be for those who already have a Linux OS, likewise with Popsicle. Not sure if there is a way to utilize it on Windows…

note: i guess that it is not that easy to install it on the notebook

1 Like