Wayland option missing from login, nvidia gpu

Hello,

I’ve been troubleshooting why Wayland is missing from the Gnome login screen. When going to the password screen, button in the lower right corner for selecting X/Wayland is missing completely, which I assume is due to Wayland not being enabled. I did check that it’s not hidden due to resolution, or that its not placed somewhere else :slightly_smiling_face:

Currently only clue I have is following error from dmesg:

[  256.251155] [drm:drm_new_set_master] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000d00] Failed to grab modeset ownership

I have checked/tried following:

Enabling nvidia-resume, -suspend and -hibernate services. (Noticed that these are required in 61-gdm.rules)

All of these show similar info in systemctl status:

nvidia-resume.service - NVIDIA system resume actions
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-resume.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

Added nvidia drivers to dracut and ran reinstall-kernels:

>cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/nvidia.conf
force_drivers+=" nvidia nvidia_modeset nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm "

kernel cmdline is:

>cat /etc/kernel/cmdline
nvme_load=YES nowatchdog rw rd.luks.uuid=111498cd-6a06-45d7-bd02-88220eb3bbea root=/dev/mapper/luks-111498cd-6a06-45d7-bd02-88220eb3bbea nvidia-drm.modeset=1 amd_pstate=guided

This is fresh install of EOS (Forgive me for I have sinned - I spent last 2 weeks on Gentoo instead of EOS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)
Installation was done on newest ISO with Online installation and selecting Gnome DE.

Following packages are installed

xorg-xwayland libxcb egl-wayland

I have previously had Wayland working, I just havent used it much due to problems with Nvidia. I noticed Wayland missing as I was planning to test it out if the nvidia support has changed from the last time.

Any ideas?

Inxi: https://0x0.st/H3Bs.txt
Latest dmesg: https://pastebin.com/LKdtqRJQ

ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules as root may be still needed.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM

Also it says newer drivers does not need that anymore…

I have gnome Nvidia Wayland running on a NVIDIA GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate]

[ 256.251155] [drm:drm_new_set_master] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000d00] Failed to grab modeset ownership

I do not use the systemd services for nvidia and i do not have the modules added to initramfs image only using the drm modesetting parameter

Thanks!

>echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
wayland

That ln enabled Wayland on login screen, can also confirm Wayland to be working with this change.

I noticed that ln in docs before but was hesitant to try it due to the note newer drivers not needing it anymore and I was unsure about the possible side effects of mucking about with that file. Combined with previous dmesg error about modesetting and Wayland requiring modesetting I was set on that the problem must be somewhere else.

For future readers:
dmesg error about Nvidia failing to grab modeset ownership can possibly be a red herring. The following may still be needed:

sudo ln -s /dev/null /etc/udev/rules.d/61-gdm.rules

i remember that i was having the same issue when setting up some times ago…

1 Like

Noted.

Before this I tried enabling Wayland without including nvidia drivers in Dracut. I added those as part of troubleshooting. Will try later with them removed. For systemd services: installing nvidia drivers had a notice that enabling nvidia-resume might be needed. Reading 61-gdm.rules seemed to test for those services, so I enabled them as part of troubleshooting.

1 Like

if you need resume and others you will may need to enable these services… but you do not need them for wayland to work.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.