Was editing /etc/default/grub and cat walked on keyboard, what do?

Hi everyone,

Here’s a stupid one : I was trying to edit my grub files to try add a ‘quiet’ and ‘splash’ line for booting when the house cat abruptly jumped on my keyboard, deleting the GRUB_TIMEOUT= part in the process. Now I don’t know what was there before (I think I cannot go back or simply exit is that right ?).
I’ve tried to recover what would be the default line here, without success. Can someone help and tell me what is supposed to be written down here by default ?

GNU nano 7.2                                              /etc/default/grub                                               Modifié  
GRUB_BACKGROUND='/usr/share/endeavouros/splash.png'
GRUB_DEFAULT='0'
GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY='true'
GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU='false'
GRUB_TIMEOUT=
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT='nowatchdog nvme_load=YES quiet splash'
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR='EndeavourOS'

Thanks a lot for your help (and beware of those damn cats) !

You can. Ctrl + X and then, importantly, N to not save changes.

1 Like

I’ve had a similar issue, and if you ever have already exited and saved, you can get back to a default file by doing this (might not be the easiest way, but it’s guaranteed to work)

rm /etc/default/grub
rm /etc/grub.d/*

pacman -S grub
choose y to reinstall.

2 Likes

Thank you so much !

1 Like

You’re welcome :smiley:

1 Like

That might be very helpful in the future ! Thanks a lot !

Somewhere I saw a special program that runs in the background, and detects if any input looks suspiciously like ‘cat-generated’ typing - and then rejects it. No idea how well it works bit MIGHT help :grin:

Other ideas…

1. Be aware when the cat is about - after all if the cat wants your attention, it WILL get it :grin:
  2. Keep the room you compute in a bit cooler than usual - the cat rarely visit! Of course, you may need to wear a sweater or something…
  3. My solution of choice over the years - I keep the keyboard in a slide-in shelf mounted under the desk. Not only is this more comfortable, but you can usually slide it far enough in quickly to avoid cat input!

Also - just as a note - often CTRLZ will undo the changes in order, in MOST possible editors - can also save the day…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.