[Warning] Samba 4.11.3-3 pushed on archlinux extra repository is broken

Broken, in a way yes. But in another, no. Samba developers pulled the plug for the old and not really secure SMBv1 protocol.

SMBv1 will be removed in the next version of samba and you cannot do anything about it.

1 Like

@FredBezies

I assume that this topic refers to SAMBA for the server side of things and not SAMBAClient for the client device?
Thanks.

Pudge

I think both sides. SMBv1 is now too old to be fixed.

1 Like

To be fair the smb1 conundrum was forced on end users by the samba Devā€™s with release 4.7 and all versions later.

I am very concerned however, that it took months for upstream Arch packagers to act on user complaints about a bugged version. Not good.

I just did a new install last night and as of 1 May we have samba 4.12.2-3 which appears to be ok for me - caveat I am in a Linux only environment with Linux samba server tweaked to minimise problem raised by 4.7+ versions.

1 Like

Samba removed SMBv1 due to security vulnerability.
An example of the consequences in France where one of the most important provider called FREE uses still SMBv1 protocol on a GPLv2 Licence Samba 3.0.37 from October, 1 2009 !!

But, since version 3.2.0+ Samba changed Licence to GPLv3 which FREE doesnā€™t want to useā€¦certainly to not pay the new contractā€¦or in the GPLv2, FREE certainly modified the initial code and they donā€™t want to make public the Freebox Source Code with the new Licenceā€¦

So this game is running for long years now, and Free users around 7 Millions claimed the SMBv2/v3 protocol on their Freebox.

1 Like

where can we find that for orange thank you