VSCode can't debug jupyter notebook / python

Not sure where to post about this one, I suppose here on the EndeavourOS forum, as it ‘just works’ on other distros.

Installed the Microsoft VSCode using visual-studio-code-bin from the AUR.

When I attempt to debug a cell in a jupyter notebook, the debug sidebar opens, the little blue thing goes back and forth, the terminal echos the debug command, the debug control strip opens with only restart and stop available, and that’s as far as it gets. If I click Restart, it says RUNNING under the call stack.
Sometimes I get the error Couldn't find a debug adapter descriptor for debug type 'Python Kernel Debug Adapter' (extension might have failed to activate)

I’ve uninstalled vscode, reinstalled, removed all but the essential extensions, to no avail.
I’ve found .vscode folders here and there and removed them.
I removed a .devcontainers folder from when I used code with a container on Universal Blue.

Tried some other long shots I found googling, such as code --enable-proposed-api ms-python.python & disown.
I even tried the cli version of vscode.

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Version: 1.78.1
Commit: 6a995c4f4cc2ced6e3237749973982e751cb0bf9
Date: 2023-05-04T09:46:23.602Z
Electron: 22.5.1
Chromium: 108.0.5359.215
Node.js: 16.17.1
V8: 10.8.168.25-electron.0
Sandboxed: No
Kernel: 6.1.27-1-lts 
Uptime: 44 mins 
Packages: 1326 (pacman) 
Shell: bash 5.1.16 
Resolution: 2560x2880, 3840x2160, 3840x2160 
DE: GNOME 44.1 
WM: Mutter 
WM Theme: Adwaita 
Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3] 
Icons: Qogir [GTK2/3] 
Terminal: xfce4-terminal 
Terminal Font: Source Code Pro 14 
CPU: 13th Gen Intel i9-13900K (32) @ 5.500GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA RTX A4500 
Memory: 9211MiB / 128520MiB

Why?

Why not use the one from the repos? It’s under community/code.

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s still an issue, but back in January when I tried code, it wasn’t able to sync settings/extensions through GitHub account.
Guess in many cases it’s one the main reasons why folks stick with MS branded version from AUR.

Uninstalled what I had, installed community/code, and it has an error (below) trying to load the Jupyter extension.

It’s not the Microsoft version.

I added the command line switch --enable-proposed-api ms-toolsai.jupyter and it at least loads the extension now.

Just tried debugging, and it’s doing the same thing.

mainThreadExtensionService.ts:80 [ms-toolsai.jupyter]Extension 'ms-toolsai.jupyter' CANNOT use API proposal: notebookCellExecutionState.
Its package.json#enabledApiProposals-property declares:  but NOT notebookCellExecutionState.
 The missing proposal MUST be added and you must start in extension development mode or use the following command line switch: --enable-proposed-api ms-toolsai.jupyter
mainThreadExtensionService.ts:81 Error: Extension 'ms-toolsai.jupyter' CANNOT use API proposal: notebookCellExecutionState.
Its package.json#enabledApiProposals-property declares:  but NOT notebookCellExecutionState.
 The missing proposal MUST be added and you must start in extension development mode or use the following command line

That seems like a good thing, doesn’t it?

I found version 1.74.3 of VScode, installed, doing the same thing.

Why?

The current version in the repos is 1.78.1.

Troubleshooting.

Do you have any suggestions?