Virtualbox 7 with Windows 11 guest - freeze

Hello,

ich just installed Endeavour OS latest with Virtualbox 7. Then I installed Windows 11 as a guest, so far it seems ok. But after a while I cannot do anything within the Virtualbox window. No mouse klick, no keyboard.
It seems it is not crashing, I can still see the Win11 screen …
I disabled 3D already because I know there is a issue … .

Anyone having same issue?

EDIT: Just restarted the machine and I can do some actions until it freezes, so the freeze appears after some time …

Yes.

Since the upgrade to VB 7, I have had freezes, after a while, with a Linux guest that was previously perfectly fine. Sometimes it’s instant, sometimes it takes an hour.

I always had that issue with VB. For some reason, VB doesn’t like to run Windows guests on a Linux host. Due to this, I stopped using it and switch to using QEMU/KVM or VMWare.

But I prefer using QEMU/KVM over VMWare. But as many know it’s not easy to get QEMU/KVM working properly. But now there is a solution to this called Quickemu.

The git page says it’s mainly available for Ubuntu but we have our AUR. It’s in there.

➜ yay -Ss quickemu
aur/quickemu-git 4.5.r1.gc3d21b9-1 (+1 0.07) 
    Quickly create and run optimised Windows, macOS and Linux desktop virtual machines
aur/quickgui 1.2.8-1 (+6 0.77) 
    A Flutter frontend for quickget and quickemu
aur/quickgui-bin 1.2.8-1 (+9 0.07) 
aur/quickemu 4.5-1 (+18 1.00) 
    Quickly create and run optimised Windows, macOS and Linux desktop virtual machines.

If you need a GUI front end there is that also.

➜ yay -Ss quickgui
aur/quickgui 1.2.8-1 (+6 0.77) 
aur/quickgui-bin 1.2.8-1 (+9 0.07) 
2 Likes

That’s known. Du :wink: could use GA latest 6.1.x test build (also in VBox 7.0.x, also, if you should not mix). No freezes.

By whom?

Do you mean the VB dev team has explicitly confirmed that they are aware of and working on the issue, and that test builds of Guest Additions fix it?

If so, can you point to the announcement or ticket?

From users who deal with VBox and can reproduce it like me. From users who read bug reports like this one.