Virtual inteface on USB

Hi, I would like to ask if virtual interface is possible in EOS? I’d like to use it to log through USB.

Thanks!

Two questions:

What is this?

What is this?

I think it’s trying to use a usb device as a serial port? Maybe?

Hi, I’m sorry I was in a hurry when I wrote it. My purpose is to connect to a device attached to the USB interface using telnet. So I should create a virtual interface out of the USB.

My question is why do you think it needs to be virtual?

You mean you want to access a USB-attached serial console?

Those are normally accessible to the uucp group: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Users_and_groups

@vpp
Is the usb connected device a modem? or?

Hi, thanks for the replies! The device is a tablet.

I was told to connect to it using a virtual interface. If there is an easier way, I would appreciate it.

In Ubuntu and I guess in Fedora, you get a notication when a USB device connects. And they say it is easy to set up a virtual interface and start a telnet session.

It may be that the tablet talks only telnet and that’s why I shouöd be able talk it too.

I’m not familiar with setting this up. Where did you get the information? Maybe it can looked at?

What sort of tablet?

By whom? Where? When?

Seems like they know how to do this already? Have you asked them?

Hello, thanks for all the replies.

This is a Jolla tablet and first I of course asked help from Sailfish Forum. People there know Jolla products, but they don’t know EOS.

So I can start a maintenance mode in the tablet, but I cannot telnet to it, although it is apparently waiting for it.

This is a link to Jolla’s own instructions.

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/208406917-Jolla-Tablet-How-do-I-use-the-Recovery-Mode-

I only have an old Windows laptop which probably does not even work. My Linux desktop is newer, so I thought it should be ok to use it. The referenced instruction just uses Ubuntu where everything seems to work automatically.

Hello,
today, for some unexpected and unknown reason, telnet started to work and I could do a factory reset to the tablet.

Really, I only recharged the tablet, because it had been on all day yesterday and did not start at all today.

So, problem solved. Hopefully someone can tell what had happened…?

I have a WAG here (Wild A## Guess) - could it be that the tablet shut down its interface when the battery got low?

2 Likes

Or it needed to be rebooted because it doesn’t support plug and play USB. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Ape?

Sure - or you could put ‘jack’ in front of it :grin: WAG has been used for years as a description though…

2 Likes

“Jackape” doesn’t sound quite right, though… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Because, as far as I know, they aren’t wild - tame only. :roll_eyes:

OK, you’ve lost me now. :grin:

It’s 06:33 here - and I have to go shopping before I go to bed - so don’t expect much sense…

1 Like