Virsh-net bridge error on starting, cant set up VM

I have been using virt-manager and qemu-kvm for a while and I really like it, I reinstallaed EOS, and set up the packages needed for virt-manager, and made sure I could start and started virsh net-start br10. it all was working, now after about 1 month I’m ready to set up a couple of VMs and virsh is not letting me start br10 or default network. I have not changed anything.

this is the error that comes up trying to start br10:

sudo virsh net-start br10                                                                                ─╯
error: Failed to start network br10
error: internal error: Child process (VIR_BRIDGE_NAME=br10 /usr/local/bin/dnsmasq --conf-file=/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/br10.conf --leasefile-ro --dhcp-script=/usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt_leaseshelper) unexpected exit status 1: Error: PATH environment variable not set
sudo virsh net-list --all                                                                                ─╯
 Name      State      Autostart   Persistent
----------------------------------------------
 br10      inactive   yes         yes
 default   inactive   yes         yes

this is the br10.xml file:

<network>
  <name>br10</name>
  <forward mode='nat'>
    <nat>
      <port start='1024' end='65535'/>
    </nat>
  </forward>
  <bridge name='br10' stp='on' delay='0'/>
  <ip address='192.168.30.1' netmask='255.255.255.0'>
    <dhcp>
      <range start='192.168.30.50' end='192.168.30.200'/>
    </dhcp>
  </ip>
</network>

what I don’t get it used to work, and now it’s not working, the computer is up to date.

This is the error I get from virt-manager trying to set up a VM:

Unable to complete install: 'Requested operation is not valid: network 'br10' is not active'

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 72, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/createvm.py", line 2008, in _do_async_install
    installer.start_install(guest, meter=meter)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 695, in start_install
    domain = self._create_guest(
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtinst/install/installer.py", line 637, in _create_guest
    domain = self.conn.createXML(initial_xml or final_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 4420, in createXML
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateXML() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Requested operation is not valid: network 'br10' is not active

Could not start virtual network 'default': internal error: Child process (VIR_BRIDGE_NAME=virbr0 /usr/local/bin/dnsmasq --conf-file=/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.conf --leasefile-ro --dhcp-script=/usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt_leaseshelper) unexpected exit status 1: Error: PATH environment variable not set

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/device/netlist.py", line 208, in _check_network_is_running
    netobj.start()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/network.py", line 69, in start
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 3486, in create
    raise libvirtError('virNetworkCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: internal error: Child process (VIR_BRIDGE_NAME=virbr0 /usr/local/bin/dnsmasq --conf-file=/var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.conf --leasefile-ro --dhcp-script=/usr/lib/libvirt/libvirt_leaseshelper) unexpected exit status 1: Error: PATH environment variable not set

If you can help me get it back in working order I’d be much obliged!
I need to run a windows VM for some programs I need to study for my potential new employer.

Check out this thread from the Arch forums: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=274744

I have done firecfg --clean, which did not help the situation. I uninstalled firejail completely, without any luck.

any other tips?

That wasn’t the only part of the solution. Check the very bottom of the page, where it talks about the dnsmasq symlink.

I saw that, do I just delete the dnsmasq from that /usr/local/bin to remove the symlink?

I would say yes, but write down where that link pointed just in case. I wish you could have posted this 2 days ago - I’m in the final stages of moving my QEMU setup back over to VMware.

Just a heads up. I went through a similar issue where the change in dnsmasq the way the path is handled. As you did, disabling firejail allowed for libvirtd to start … and then let me access my virtual network. All my notes are in the bug referenced below.

1 Like

Think this reply should have gone to @av8r.

That worked, except for my /etc/firejail/firecfg.conf is empty.
So I had to run

sudo firecfg --clean
sudo virsh net-start br10
sudo firecfg 

and I could now start a VM

Any Idea why my firecfg.conf is empty?

I found it in firecfg.config

Thank y’all for your help with this problem. No one to a new problem, somehow the Won10 VM is now locked to 1200x800px. But that will be a new thread if I can’t figure it out

Any Idea why my firecfg.conf is empty?

So if you run “nano /etc/firejail/firecfg.config” then the file will look blank. This is because the file is probably being touched by the OS or Service.

But “sudo nano /etc/firejail/firecfg.config” you will see the actual contents of the file.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.