Very Strange PS4 Controller Problem In Flatpak Steam

Hello all, thanks for taking the time to help me out.

I’m new to gaming on Linux.

I installed Red Dead Redemption 2 via the Flatpak version of Steam.

When I run the game, the L2 and R2 buttons move the game camera left or right, while tilting it upwards.

When I press on a button, or long press on a button, the button icon flashes between the Playstation and (I think), the XBox icons.

Also, the middle “touch pad” in the center of the controller does not work (if I press the touchpad, it should move the camera in and out of 3rd person mode). If I run my finger along the touchpad, it moves the camera. These two issues never existed when I played this game on Windows.

I’m in X11, so I ran xinput --disable 'Wireless Controller Touchpad'. This does not solve the problem (although it did prevent the trackpad from functioning when I ran my finger across it in the game.

I’ve ran steam with and without “Steam input”.

I’m not sure how to resolve this very strange problem. I thought it could be the game Red Dead Redemption 2, so I installed Elden Ring, but the PS4 controller does not work at all. I tried enabling Steam Input than turning it off, but it still does not work.

Any idea how I can get this working?

Thanks for your help!

Have you checked this option?

Hi, thanks for your quick response.

I have turned that option on and off, it makes no difference.

I won’t be able to help too much more but here is the closest thing I could find on the wiki

Since the issue seems to be with it being a flatpak you could use steam from the repos (not sure but you might need to backup your games and restore)

You’re saying install the native Steam package from pacman?

I clicked the link you sent, but I can’t find the steam-devices package in pacman.

There is a git package in the AUR. But yer I would install sudo pacman -S steam
Since as the issue is caused by it being a flatpak