Various Icons Not Displaying in Google pages

Ok, I’ve been Googling this on and off for the past few days and I’ve come up with nothing helpful so hopefully someone here has an idea.

When I go to certain Google pages (Calendar or Hangouts, for example)… there are several icons that show up as squares with numbers in them (in Firefox) or just squares (in Chrome). See attached image.

My thought is that I’m missing a font somewhere but for the life of me can’t figure out which one. I’ve tried several “material”-themed ones to no avail.

I’ve never had this issue with any other distribution. Also, this happens in all of my 3 EOS installs so I’m guessing either something is missing somewhere… or something isn’t setup properly… either way I’m at a loss…

Can anyone help? Please? :slight_smile:

First time I’ve been to either - but no problem found. Could it be the choice of icons that has created the problem? There are MANY that are not complete sets that I have seen…

Also, the icons displayed along the sides, vertically when I visited (in Brave) - another setting somewhere?

what shows this?

https://www.gstatic.com/calendar/images/dynamiclogo/2x/cal_16_v2.png#

could be some ad-blocker or script-blocker you have installed on firefox, as i do not think system icons are used inside websides of firefox:

May it is caused by missing language package for your language for firefox? firefox-i18n-"langcode"
What DE are you using?

1 Like

I’m assuming that it’s an OS setting somewhere – as this is happening across all of my EOS installs. I haven’t had this issue with any other distro I’ve used and it’s not limited to one browser. I’m sure that once I’ll figure it out, the solution will be universal. It’s probably something simple that I’m overlooking.

It’s an image… so it’s just downloaded? I’m not sure I understand the question…

I’d thought about that as well but I don’t run an ad or script blocker in Firefox. Also, the same thing happens in Chrome so it isn’t isolated to just Firefox. I do run a pi-hole for the network but I disabled that to test before posting this. Also, it works fine in Windows so I doubt that the pi-hole is the issue.

XFCE

this is one of the icons missing at your output… so it can show them, but does not on the webside …

i would bet on this :wink:

1 Like

Yep… you were right. This was a totally self-inflicted issue. I spent the last hour and a half going down a ton of different rabbit holes (which, to be fair, I did learn a lot about how fonts work with Linux and locales and all of that)…

I checked on my work laptop (which runs Windows) and it was working fine there… but then remembered that my work laptop connects through the VPN and it would bypass my network settings…

I booted up my Windows VM and yeah… same exact issue…

Checked my pi-hole logs and… wouldn’t you know it… the site where it was downloading the web fonts from was being blocked… ffs… I’d turned the pi-hole completely off before and maybe I was dumb and either didn’t close out the browser or didn’t refresh it or clear the cache or something…

Anyhow… whitelisted the the sites where the fonts were coming from… restarted the browser, cleared the cache and it’s working now…

Lesson learned… haha… thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

3 Likes