I’m trying to set up a fingerprint sensor from Elantech under EndevourOS, but unfortunately I can’t get it to work. The sensor is installed in my Laoptop and with lsusb i get: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f3:0c4f Elan Microelectronics Corp. ELAN:Fingerprint
The laptop is an Acer Aspire A515-45.
What I found out now is that I probably need to install libfprint, since my sensor is apparently supported there (see https://fprint.freedesktop.org/supported-devices.html …?). I installed that after along with all the dependencies from the AUR.
because somehow an Elentech touchpad (but no fingerprint reader) is found there…?
Output: https://pastebin.com/fhiq29sf
One more thing to mention is that the sensor works fine under Windows 10 Pro 64bit (which runs in dualboot mode with EndevourOS). I simply downloaded the driver from Acer (unfortunately, there are only Windows drivers :/).
Did you install valgrind with libfprint-git? Supposedly it is also required and is not installed with it. So you have to install that separately according to what i read on the page.
Hey,
thank for your advice!
So I did actually take a look at the mentioned arch wiki page before your post, but I seem to have overlooked the journalctl command. which is advised to run in case of any connection problems.
So I proceeded to run
# journalctl -u fprintd.service
Output:
-- Journal begins at Fri 2021-05-07 19:09:18 CEST, ends at Sun 2021-05-09 14:29:41 CEST. --
Mai 08 17:47:26 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:47:26 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:47:57 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
-- Boot 5ddae4a821b94e0c8bd2337954fee47e --
Mai 08 17:51:40 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:51:40 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:52:11 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 17:54:46 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:54:46 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:55:17 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 17:57:02 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:57:02 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:57:33 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 17:57:52 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:57:52 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:58:22 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 17:59:10 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:59:10 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 17:59:36 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Stopping Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 17:59:36 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 17:59:36 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Stopped Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
-- Boot 779df61bb7ad474381470edb1e024904 --
Mai 08 18:00:13 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:00:13 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:00:43 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:06:03 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:06:03 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:06:34 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:13:09 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:13:09 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:13:39 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:16:39 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:16:39 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:17:09 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:18:03 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:18:03 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:18:33 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:21:17 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:21:17 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:21:47 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:25:06 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:25:06 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:25:37 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 18:30:50 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 18:30:50 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 18:31:20 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
-- Boot 73b3387df02b4ad7896509f4bcd55ed6 --
Mai 08 20:56:08 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 20:56:08 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 20:56:38 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
-- Boot 05cceb7cf3204f6691768aed3a9e2583 --
Mai 08 21:51:17 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 21:51:17 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 21:51:47 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
Mai 08 21:52:52 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 08 21:52:52 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 08 21:53:22 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
-- Boot 5ccb4000d8654abf97baf94140e5e12d --
Mai 09 10:17:07 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Starting Fingerprint Authentication Daemon...
Mai 09 10:17:07 aspire-5 systemd[1]: Started Fingerprint Authentication Daemon.
Mai 09 10:17:38 aspire-5 systemd[1]: fprintd.service: Deactivated successfully.
The output is however not what I expected (after reading the wiki) but seems to show many starting and deactivating of fprintd.service. I however do not have many experiences with journalctl or services, so I don’t really know if this isn’t normal.
I also looked into valgrind, but after installing it did not seem to help.
What was very often suggested, but did also not work (No devices found), was fingerprint-gui.