USB storage devices not mounting

Hi all, I recently discovered that I dont have newly connected storage devices showing up anymore. Now, according to Archwiki, that would probably be to a kernel update that I did not reboot right after. The devices show up in dmesg, but not in lsblk. My question now is, how do I fix that now?

[27103.020491] usb 2-3.3.1: new full-speed USB device number 35 using xhci_hcd
[27103.114444] usb 2-3.3.1: New USB device found, idVendor=2886, idProduct=002f, bcdDevice=42.01
[27103.114479] usb 2-3.3.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[27103.114483] usb 2-3.3.1: Product: Seeeduino XIAO
[27103.114486] usb 2-3.3.1: Manufacturer: Seeed Studio
[27103.114489] usb 2-3.3.1: SerialNumber: 6A61452C5153593336202020FF081A18
[27103.145801] hid-generic 0003:2886:002F.001B: hiddev104,hidraw17: USB HID v1.00 Device [Seeed Studio Seeeduino XIAO] on usb-0000:00:14.0-3.3.1/input3
[daniel@fs0ciety ~]$ lsblk
nvme1n1     259:0    0   1,8T  0 disk 
├─nvme1n1p1 259:1    0    16M  0 part 
└─nvme1n1p2 259:2    0   1,8T  0 part 
nvme0n1     259:3    0 238,5G  0 disk 
├─nvme0n1p1 259:4    0  1000M  0 part /boot/efi
└─nvme0n1p2 259:5    0 237,5G  0 part /

Have you done

sudo pacman -Syu

before posting here? Otherwise you should have supplied output from inxi, not sure of the switches only know -S -x to get distro name and base. Somebody else will answer you soon.

But now we’re on Linux kernel v6.2.6 at least so all of that should have been resolved.

Yes, ran the upgrade again before posting, but I only got minor changes which didnt require a reboot. Output of inxi:

  Host: fs0ciety Kernel: 6.2.6-arch1-1 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
    v: 12.2.1 Desktop: N/A Distro: EndeavourOS base: Arch Linux

As for DE im currently using Gnome on Wayland and also noticed, that all external audio devices wont work anymore. Not sure if related. But the issue was persistent on i3 also.

When trouble shooting a problem, always reboot after making changes before rechecking the problem’s persistance.



I actually did, the problem is not really something new, I just didnt care for the last 2 weeks or so tbh. Because im rarely using usb storage, that just came up again. Interestingly, now after like 3 more reboots, at least the storage mounting works again. I didnt change anything else and also did multiple reboots after reading the article in the Archwiki. As former Sysadmin myself, reboot was the first thing I tried :smiley:

1 Like

Try this. With no USB devices plugged in, here’s mine

inxi -J
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 9 rev: 2.0
  Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 7 rev: 3.0

Now plug in a USB device and repeat the command

inxi -J
  Hub-1: 1-0:1 info: Hi-speed hub with single TT ports: 9 rev: 2.0
  Device-1: 1-5:4 info: Lexar Media JumpDrive Tough type: Mass Storage
    rev: 2.1
  Hub-2: 2-0:1 info: Super-speed hub ports: 7 rev: 3.0

Notice the extra entry for the Lexar Media JumpDrive.

If you don’t get the new device listed, I would look into a udev problem or a faulty USB hub as the first suspects.

If you get the new device listed, but lsblk -f doesn’t show it, I am not sure where to go from there.