USB deactivates when laptop charger is unplugged

Hello everyone,

I’m brand new to EndeavourOS but have some prior experience from Ubuntu. I’ve completed a fresh install of Endeavour, and have encountered a problem with USB port availability.

My problem is that my laptop’s USB ports are only operational when the computer is charging. Unplugging the charger results in the ports being deactivated, and re-plugging it in does not restore them. Rebooting does.

Eliminated possible causes: This isn’t a hardware issue, because other OS’s on the same computer do not have a similar problem. The problem applies to all USB devices – including low-power ones, so this does not appear to stem from some sort of power management strategy.

I’ve posted the full log from dmesg here, but the most relevant section seems to be:

[Sun Oct 3 15:55:11 2021] xhci_hcd 0000:03:00.3: WARNING: Host System Error

The output of lsusb is unchanged (and correct) regardless of whether or not the ports are working.

I’ve done some searching and found a few other posts here & elsewhere relating xhci_hcd & USB problems, but none seem to be quite the same as what I’m experiencing here.

I’d really appreciate any input that might steer me in the right direction! Thanks for reading. :slight_smile:

Do you have TLP installed? Because that’s my first thought as a possible culprit. If you do have TLP installed, you may try to uninstall it and see if this issue still persists.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks @Scotty_Trees – you’re a wizard! Uninstalling TLP seems to have done the trick. Thank you so much!!

1 Like

You’re welcome, happy to help! TLP can be a useful piece of software, but it does have it’s drawbacks. In order to conserve battery power, it has to limit or disable various performances via hardware and software tweaks. Personally, on my laptop I’m plugged in 99% of the time, so TLP doesn’t serve a use for me and when I have used it in the past, the performance hits I get just to conserve a little bit of battery just wasn’t worth it. For most users though, it depends on your use case and your hardware. If you don’t need TLP then you won’t miss it. But if you do need TLP, then there may be way(s) to prevent TLP from autosuspending the USB, but for that I’d have to do a bit more searching first. Other than that, happy to help you out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good catch!

1 Like

Stellar! I really appreciate all the extra information, too. I’ll monitor performance to see how battery life holds up. If it’s not so good, you’ve given me something to explore. Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone know what TLP is an abbreviation for?

TLP is not an acronym, it’s just a three-letter name. (SOURCE)

That’s what the developer has stated. It doesn’t mean anything, but if you want it to mean “something” so it’s easier to remember the letters, some users like to “think” it means T.hinkpad L.inux P.ower management, though this is of course not official, since it’s just letters :wink:

@Alchemist087 No worries, enjoy your system for now and if you need to dive deeper into the issue, feel free to post about it back here, most likely under a different/new topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.