USB 3 device and port assigned to 2.0 hub

hey all, i have a USB 3 capture card running to my USB-C 3.2 rear port. however, it seems to default assign itself to a USB 2.0 root hub, instead of to the 3.0. I have to unplug and replug it in a few time before it catches and assigns to the correct hub.

How can I force this to always detect and assign to a USB 3.0 hub?

[nicodemus@galahad ~]$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1532:0207 Razer USA, Ltd Orbweaver Chroma keypad
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID feed:1307 ErgoDox EZ ErgoDox EZ
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04d9:fc40 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. USB Gaming Mouse
Bus 001 Device 003: ID b58e:9e84 Blue Microphones Yeti Stereo Microphone
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 26ce:01a2 ASRock LED Controller
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 048d:9325 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. CA-FLINT4KP-PRO
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 048d:9325 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. CA-FLINT4KP-PRO is assigned to Bus 001 when it should be assigned to bus 3 or 4 (i’m unsure whether 3 or 4 is the rear 3.2 Gen 2 ports, as opposed to the front 3.2 Gen 1 ports, or maybe it doesn’t matter)

edit just so it’s said, i’m sure both the device and cable are the correct spec. /edit

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Just for testing, try:

• 6.1 LTS kernel
  • Plugging the capture card in front port.
  • See If there’s any firmware update for capture card.
  • Plug your capture card in the back usb port while keyboard/mouse are plugged in the front.
  • It could be that your firmware detects the devices at an early stage and the USB 3.0 features are activated later in the boot process. So it’s detected as USB 2.0. Try booting first and then connect the capture card.

Is USB-C auxiliary power connected to the capture card? Sometimes, it gets switched to low speed 2.0 when there’s not enough usb current.

1 Like

thanks, i’ll try some of this!

no aux power connected is connected. no firmware updates available, just fyi.

so, even with aux power, it does appear to be powering down when idle into USB 2.0, but never going back to USB 3.0 unless i replug it in.

any idea how to resolve this and tell Linux “this device here should always go to the USB 3 hub”?

It is most likely not getting the power it needs to operate so it powers down to usb 2.0
It also could be the usb-c cable

Unfortunately when it comes to usb-c cables they can look identical and behave very differently. I would specifically look for a usb-c to usb A 3.0

Edit:
What do these show. This will give you more information on the ports that you can look at.

lsusb -t

lsusb -v

https://doc.kusakata.com/driver-api/usb/power-management.html

2 Likes

Thanks for everyone’s help.

Honestly, I think the device is just not made correctly.

I bought an ASUS TUF CU4K30 to see if I can replicate the issue with a different capture card and it doesn’t have this issue. It is always recognized correctly as USB 3.0 @ 5Gb/s. I’m using the exact same cables.

I guess it’s a non-issue then. Just don’t buy the Cloner Alliance Flint 4kP Pro.

2 Likes

As it should be. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m glad you went this route as it just shows how different hardware can be. I realize it comes at a price. Happy it is working for you now.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.