Upgrading OS version

Hello im new user that just joined in this endeavour.
I’d like to ask if there is new release ISO and im already installing endeavourOS, should i download that and do the installation again or just sudo pacman -Syu?

Hopefully someone can answer my question, hope your having a good day!

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

This.

It is rolling so once you install you can just update going forward.

3 Likes

Welcome to :enos: !!

Is sufficient. Alternatively you can just type:

yay
2 Likes

I see, i thought i need to do the installation again when there is a new release.

Thanks for the blazingly fast answer @sradjoker @dalto and also thanks for the welcoming message too :smile:

1 Like

just take a look at changelog - sometime new release introduce new default programs that you can just install manually like firewalld firewall introduced by default in Apollo release for new installs

hi @Aiura,

welcome to the purple universe :enos: :enos_flag: :penguin_face: :rocketa_purple:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

EndeavourOS (being pretty much easy-to-install Arch Linux with an additional custom repository) is a rolling release distro.

This means that there is no such thing as OS version, and the concept of “updating the OS version” is completely meaningless. Only individual packages have versions, and these are updated as they are rolled out. When you do an update (typically using sudo pacman -Syu or simply yay), all packages on your system are updated to their latest version available on the mirror servers.

Do not be confused by the fact that there are different versions of ISOs, which have nice names like “Atlantis”, if you do an online install, they all install the same versions of packages – the latest ones.

For example, I installed EndeavourOS on this computer I am using to write this post some two years ago. I did an update just now. Say that you installed EndeavourOS yesterday, and did an update just now. We obviously used very different ISOs to install our operating systems. Nevertheless, we most likely have the exact same versions of packages: e.g. both of us use Bash version 5.1.16(1), we have gcc version 12.2.0, glibc version 2.36, if we use Inkscape, it’s 1.2.1. etc, etc…

That’s what rolling release means. We always have the latest software and we never have to reinstall our OS to get newer versions of packages. The obvious downside to that is that it is quite difficult to get old the versions of software running.

This is very different from Debian-based OSs, like 'Buntu.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.