Updating yay

According to the Arch wiki to update AUR packages you have to do git pull. So, my question is do I need to do that with yay? or does yay get updated when you run yay -Syu ?

Also, where is the yay git package located?

Thanks

1 Like

On EndeavourOS, yay is in the repos, so it will be updated with

sudo pacman -Syu

On a vanilla Arch system, you have to update it manually.

Regarding AUR packages, if you use yay, you don’t have to update them manually, it is sufficient to simply run:

yay

and your system will be fully updated, both the packages from the repos and from the AUR (this is because yay is both a pacman wrapper and an AUR helper).

That said, for the packages in the AUR, it is wise to inspect the PKGBUILD script, and also the differences when updating a package from the AUR, just in the off-chance there is something fishy going on. It’s very rare that something malicious is included in the PKGBUILD file, but anyone can publish anything on the AUR.

8 Likes

Thanks @Kresimir damn you guys are so quick :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Really? Interesting. I’ll look into that. I don’t think I’ve ever done anything other than pacman -Syu and yay -Sua. . . And topgrade. Is there something beyond that I need to do?

Edit:I just checked and my yay is up to date and has been updated by something at some point. So I’m good. Thanks @kresimir

1 Like

I think it’s “manually” as in “it’s not in the repos” rather than anything else - you can still use the same AUR helpers on vanilla Arch if you want.

1 Like

Thanks @jonathon. I just looked and again something I did has updated it. I thought it was, but when I saw manually, I took that as like a manual intervention update that comes up occasionally in Arch.

1 Like
  1. yay -Syua

2. yay -Yc

3. yay -Ps

1 Like
  1. sudo pacman -Syu && pacman -Qm | aur vercmp && aur vercmp-devel
  2. sudo pacman -Rncs $(pacman -Qtdq)

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like
resolviendo dependencias...
buscando conflictos entre paquetes...

Paquetes (1) gupnp-1.2.4-1

Tamaño total de la descarga:    0,16 MiB
Tamaño total de la instalación:  1,35 MiB
Tamaño neto tras actualizar:    0,00 MiB

:: ÂżContinuar con la instalaciĂłn? [S/n] 
:: Obteniendo los paquetes...
 gupnp-1.2.4-1-x86_64            164,6 KiB   728 KiB/s 00:00 [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) comprobando las claves del depĂłsito                    [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) verificando la integridad de los paquetes              [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) cargando los archivos de los paquetes                  [--------------------------------] 100%
(1/1) comprobando conflictos entre archivos                  [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Procesando los cambios de los paquetes...
(1/1) actualizando gupnp                                     [--------------------------------] 100%
:: Ejecutando los «hooks» de posinstalación...
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
bash: aur: orden no encontrada
[judd@judd-b365mds3h ~]$ yay -Yc
comprobando dependencias...

Paquetes (1) js60-60.9.0-2

Tamaño total quitado:  55,38 MiB

:: ÂżDesea quitar estos paquetes? [S/n] 
aur sync -cs game-devices-udev

I admit, I have no idea what we’re doing now
 :joy:

2 Likes

Its just yay -Syu that’s all you need that command includes AUR, Or yay -Syu --Devel to include git packages.
To search packages its yay package name then enter the number 1 2 3 etc
Yay is simple to use

2 Likes

How can yay be used to update:
– only packages from repo
– only packages from AUR
?

Edit: I think I found the answer in man yay:

–repo

Assume all targets are from the repositories. Additionally Actions such as
sysupgrade will only act on repository packages.

-a, --aur

Assume all targets are from the AUR. Additionally Actions such as sysupgrade
will only act on AUR packages.

Note that dependency resolving will still act normally and include repository
          packages.

For no very good reason, I use “pacman -Syyu” for updates, and occasionally “yay -Syua” for AUR. I could, of course, do it all as mentioned with “yay -Syu” and let it do the ‘repo’ updates first, and then the AUR

2 Likes

Running just yay will update repo and AUR packages.

1 Like

To taste the colors.

I prefer to always update with pacman and not with yay.

yay I only use it to add some very specific package that pacman can’t do.

5 Likes