Updating breaks ffmpeg dependencies

Hello everyone, I am having an issue when trying to update my computer. I keep getting this message:

➜  ~ sudo pacman -Syu             
:: Synchronising package databases...
 endeavouros is up to date
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing libvpx (1.13.0-1) breaks dependency 'libvpx.so=7-64' required by ffmpeg-vulkan

I tried to update the mirrors and also reinstalled archlinux-keyring, but I keep getting the same error. I am writing this post as the dependency seems to be everywhere on my system and I don’t think is a good idea to just uninstall everything that y uses it:

➜  ~ sudo pacman -Rns ffmpeg-vulkan  
checking dependencies...
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by alvr
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by blender
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'libavcodec.so=59-64' required by chromaprint
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'libavformat.so=59-64' required by chromaprint
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'libavutil.so=57-64' required by chromaprint
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'libswresample.so=4-64' required by chromaprint
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by electron11-bin
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by electron21
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by ffmpegthumbnailer
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by firefox
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by gst-libav
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by kfilemetadata
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by kpipewire
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by obs-studio
:: removing ffmpeg-vulkan breaks dependency 'ffmpeg' required by qt5-webengine

Does this work?

sudo pacman -Syu ffmpeg
1 Like

It did seem to work just fine, thank you. Would you mind explaining me why installing that solved the issue?

You have many packages that depend on ffmpeg. You had ffmpeg-vulkan installed which provides ffmpeg. However, your very of ffmpeg-vulkan was dependent on older versions of libraries which was blocking your update.

By updating while installing normal ffmpeg at the same time, you were able to maintain all the packages that depend on ffmpeg by replacing ffmpeg-vulkan with it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.