Updating BIOS and Schrodinger's File

Now that I have recovered my OS I’d like to update my BIOS.

I have an ASROCK B250M Pro4-IB motherboard that came with my computer that I purchased from IBuyPower.

I got the BIOS from here

I have my USB set to FAT32 with the following structure

/
+ B25MP1.10
  | B25MP1.10

I go to Tools/Instant Flash and I see this. A quick popup flashes then is replaced by a pop up saying ‘File Not Found’. I used a video to capture a screenshot.

I am thinking it is getting filtered out by the BIOS as there is a difference:

The only BIOS I can find on ASROCK site. This points to ASROCK B250M Pro4 not ASROCK B250M Pro4-IB.

I’d rather avoid cross flashing If I can. Going to contact IBuyPower to see if they can supply the BIOS flash.

Edit: Corrected Filename typo.

It may need to be at the root of the filesystem, not in a folder.

I don’t think you have the right file? I downloaded it and it’s B25MP2.50

Edit: Are you downloading the very top one which is instant flash? Then extract the file and copy to the usb.

I did try that initially, same outcome.

I made a typo. Its the same file name as you described. I did start with the lowest version number above mine in case that was the issue but it still rejects it.

They are all the instant flash variation.

I did a little research and it looks like ibuypower flashes custom BIOSes onto these boards.

This is probably your best bet

2 Likes

Got the BIOS File from IBuyPower. Going to flash tonight.

No more breaking PCs during work hours :cry:

2 Likes

That was fast! They didn’t list it on their site. I’m impressed. :wink:

Slipped into the customer support DMs :smirk:

BIOS flash success but still no XMP option for fast ram. Now I probably should have look at this before…

My CPU
Intel i5 - 7400
Max RAM speed: 2400MHz

RAM Model:
XPG Gammix D10 3000MHz (PC4 24000) 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 (AD4U300038G16-DS10)

According to this datasheet. {see section for excel export, better than PDF}

My conclusion is that XMP2.0 speeds are not available for my CPU and thus I cannot achieve faster speeds than 2400 MHz. Or am I wrong?

that depends on the bios implantation of the manufacture.

Example
my msi motherboard support ram overclocking through xmp but my processor (i5 9600K) has a max ram speed of 2666mhz. My ram is running at 3600mhz just fine

1 Like

This is what it shows the processor supports. But some things are dependent on the motherboard and Bios. This is just what the processor specs say it supports.

@Dihedric
I just wanted you to know that there is a way to cross flash the Bios to use the Asrock version using intelfpt. I don’t have any experience with it but i ran across a reddit post about it. Just FYI. As with all Bios updates there are risks . I can only tell you that i myself have never had an issue flashing a new bios and i have done hundreds.

I’m not suggesting to you to do this or anything. I just wanted you to be aware so I’m passing on the info.

Edit: This information would only be useful only for someone who wanted to use the actual Bios by the motherboard manufacturer. (Asrock)

Like i said I’m not suggesting you do this or anything. It’s just information for your perusal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iBUYPOWER/comments/11lm7is/asrock_b250m_pro4ib_bios_update_help/

I see so that still leaves hope.

If I cannot get the XMP to work on this BIOS I just this is my next step.

So I did try one more thing with the new BIOS. I tried like before to click on the XMP settings in the DRAM Tweaker Table (on the previous BIOS version it would do nothing.)

However when the changes are saved it stops my system from booting so at least now I know something is actually getting set. My best guess is that the XMP settings are incorrect for my RAM?

Edit: Added reply

I have xmp ram also and the default i think it sets is 3000 on my MSI board but I’d have to double check. Mine has profiles also and when i select the first profile it is set to 3200 which is what the ram is. But i think i can go higher if i select other profiles? But I’ve not tried it. I usually select the first one and i also manually set the ram sometimes to 3200. My ram is 3200 Mhz so I’m not sure it will go higher either as i have never tried it. I could test it if you like.

@fred666

That’s a good point, my computer at home has a i7-12700k and it supports 3200 but i have 3600 xmp enabled ram.

@ricklinux
I believe you can set your ram clock speed to be higher than what the manufacturer states it as but I think there is a good chance of wearing down or breaking your ram.

I may try the cross flashing, I think I’m going to ask the OEM to see if they have any info on why the XMP profile isnt working.

Good idea if they will tell you. My UEFI Bios has a built in feature that will test the settings and set the optimal. Ive never set it higher than the ram is 3200 Mhz.

Edit: I think if you set the ram higher than it’s rated speed it is using a manual setting as opposed to the automatic XMP settings.

Edit: From Tom’s hardware site

An XMP profile is a profile extended beyond JDEC standards for easy Overclocking.
The profile may or may not work due to limitations of the CPU or MB.

If you look at the specs of both MB and CPU, it will tell you the type of memory supported and up to what frequency is recommended and officially supported by the CPU.
The IMC is mounted on the CPU and it is the strength of the IMC is what determines the max frequency you will achieve.

To go beyond the rated frequency of your RAM is trial and error by Tweaking Voltage and Timings in Bios.
No harm will be done to try however the system may not boot and reject the Overclock.
There is little to gain performance wise as CL timings would need to be loosened.

1 Like