Uninstalling .bin files

I installed a .bin file with “sudo ./nameofthefile.bin”, now how can I uninstall it?

That is a manual install that could do literally anything.

Check to see if it has an uninstall command line option.

It would help if you told us what file it was and where you got it.

If for some reason you cannot do that, you’re on your own, because, as @dalto said, it could have done literally anything to your PC.

Security wise, you should be careful when running some executable installation that isn’t from a well known package repositories, such as distro official repositories, flatpack official repo, snap official repo, etc.

Unless you trust the executable or know the behavior of the executable, running it risks your system installed with malware.

It an Anual Tax Report program from my country Brazil. Its here: https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br/centrais-de-conteudo/download/pgd/dirpf

Its totally trusted, it has a uninstall icon, but didnt uninstall it, it shows lots of deny access on some folders.

Check the executable run by the uninstall icon. Then you should run it in shell with sudo added.

1 Like

A binary file from the government… Oof.

That causes my tinfoil hat to tingle with static charge…
tinfoil

It’s totally trusted, citizen! Assume the position of total trust.
glowieincognito_72glowie

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.