Ungoogled-chromium

Creates this thread so we can talk about ungoogled-chromium.

I started playing a bit with ungoogled-chromium a few weeks ago. Think it’s okay!

For those of you who do not know, it is a stripped Chromium on most things from Google so it works a little differently than the usual Chromium. For example, extension is a little harder to install, but everything goes!

Here are some good to have links to ungoogled-chromium:

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-wiki/faq

https://ungoogled-software.github.io/ungoogled-chromium-binaries/releases/

I have tested ungoogled-chromium and it is silent and does not call home to anyone like many other browsers.

Fill up with your experience on ungoogled-chromium!

3 Likes

Just a heads up, Google will soon be allowing use of their private API’s only on proprietary Chrome. Won’t matter for privacy oriented users, but will most likely cause problems for regular internet consumers.

3 Likes

The Chaotic AUR for it is back up. A lot quicker then building it. A LOT QUICKER :joy:

2 Likes

What will it mean for ungoogled-chromium?

Is there something that’s going to stop working?

Ungoigled-chromium-bin

I thought there was no -bin file for it.

1 chaotic-aur/ungoogled-chromium 88.0.4324.104-2 (83.4 MiB 210.9 MiB) (Installed)
    A lightweight approach to removing Google web service dependency

I’ve only got that…

1 Like

Nothing. ungoogled-chromium removes all that stuff anyway.

3 Likes

Ungoogled-chromium-appimage

I have the flatpak and it works quite well.

1 Like

I didn’t get AppImage to work on Ubuntu 20.04.1. When I tested. It started, but nothing more. I haven’t tested it on EOS or Arch.

1 Like

But if i blast off with Endeavour i might need to call home? It’s a vast universe … i can get lost easily! :wink: I hope it allows to connect to this forum? :laughing:

1 Like

Well, that is the thing we were withholding from you. From March this forum will be only accessible with Google Chrome or through Facebook… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

OMG NO!!! I can’t do it! Firefox is my go to. :thinking:

1 Like

Google chrome is going to be our default, sorry…
Okay, enough fooling around. My apologies for the off-topic moment.

6 Likes

Works as intended on archies

With and without systemd

1 Like