Unbootable OS, long error list

My OS randomly broke. I was doing some stuff with VMware, and I put my VM to sleep before rebooting. After I rebooted, I get a very long string of errors that takes up my entire screen, and I can’t get past it at all. When I let my machine drain to 0 percent battery, it boots fine once I turn it on for the first time. But after that, when I reboot it goes into it’s unusable state.
Please help me fix this, I have heaps of important files on my device.

The images of my error are below:

1 Like

I do not have a solution for you, but I am seeing some terrible practice here, so I have to comment on it.

I can’t stress the importance of having multiple external backups for important files.

Having important files without backup is a really dangerous situation to be in, with a very high chance of data loss. All storage eventually fails, it’s not a matter of “if” but “when”. It will happen, you cannot prevent it, if your files are important and you don’t want to lose them, you need a backup, preferably more than one and external.

Well, that’s not really random, is it? You can’t blame it on the OS if you caused it to break. It would help to know what exactly were you doing (“some stuff” being not very descriptive).

You shouldn’t do that. Not only does it damage your battery and decrease its capacity, there is a risk of filesystem corruption (combined with the fact you don’t have a backup means you’re playing with fire here).

You should enable SysRq key and use it to do hard reboots, instead of just cutting the power off your device (or worse, draining the battery flat).

What I would do in your situation:

• Make a backup to an external hard drive, as soon as possible before doing anything else.
  • Enable SysRq key.

And only then try to solve the problem.

4 Likes

First, You need to use an EOS Live USB to arch-chroot or mount to your broken system and copy your important data to an external hard drive.

After backup, then fix your broken system.

If CPU or RAM or motherboard … failed and your hard drive is fine, then take out the hard drive from your broken computer and connect it to another computer to copy your important data.

more suggestions and not really a solution… Bios is outdated as far as i can see.
And the output looks like a hardware issue in the first place… it could be also something software sided.
And it could be a defective usb stick plugged in p.e. causing voltage issues or shorts…

Backup you files as fast as possible best would be to evacuate the harddrive out of the notebook but if not possible try booting into installer ISO and check the boot log journalctl -b -0 to see if it boots without issues like the real install …
This can validate if it is a hardware issue …
If journal showing similar output and kernel traces… i would really recommend to backup your files. before anything else.

2 Likes

We all have heaps of important files on our devices. A rigorous backup routine has to be adopted into your computing habits.
So many times I see people hollering for help to get back data because they have no backups. I have the mind set that if you don’t care enough about your data to do regular backups then stop asking people to help get it back or to save it when in a crisis.

2 Likes

I don’t know how to move files out of arch chroot, and this is a new laptop I got from Amazon a month ago. It was produced in 2023. I don’t think it’s a hardware issue.

Just because its a new system doesn’t mean it doesn’t have a hardware fault. Instead of guessing why not follow @joekamprad suggestion to determine and take the guess work out.

My solution is to use a usb drive with a live system and boot up. Any live system will do. Use EOS installer if you feel thats ok to use. Mount the drive where you have your files and copy them to an external harddrive. Disconnect the external drive with your data and wipe your internal drive clean and reinstall EOS. Fastest and easiest way. Everything I suggest is asuming your hardware is ok.

Don’t do “stuff” :+1: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

No need to chroot… you should be able to simply open Filemanager from the life session… there is also grsync and rsync itself installed

I’ve fixed the error on my new arch installation by updating the bios. I had to install windows on my machine to do so. I shouldn’t have to do this, but it worked I guess. Sadly, I lost all of my data, but that’s on me for not making backups. :person_shrugging: