Unable to update over wifi

After countless troubleshooting, the culprit seems to be my wifi. Updates went smoothly 2 days ago on wifi and I’m able to use curl,wget and updating repos in VM works… The only solution I have is to update with my mobile hotspot. Is this a DNS problem or anything related? Also pinging the mirror works.

Hello @farisarch
Have you tried updating the mirrors from the Welcome screen?

Yes I have tried updating my mirrors, the Welcome screen and eos-notifier seems to not detect my wifi. I believe it’s a Network issue rather than mirrors since updating with my hotspot works.
pacman -Syy returns

error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.premi.st : Resolving timed out after 10000 milliseconds
error: failed to update core (download library error)

Why are you using -Syy? Is that a typo or is that correct?

You should pass the -Syu flag to update. And -Syyu after updating mirrors.

You can connect your computer to your mobile phone and connect that you WiFi to get a wired connection to update.

Have you already tried switching to the lts kernel?

I meant -Syyu my bad. Using wifi-tethering and usb-connection through my phone works and it updates just fine but I’m not getting the full speed of my network. I’m not quite sure of switching to the lts kernel as I’m afraid of breaking stuff as I’m using Nvidia.

We need to know some hardware info. Are you able to post the link from the output of this command.

inxi -Fxxxz --no-host | eos-sendlog

If you need to install inxi

sudo pacman -S inxi

1 Like

There’s been a lot of issues with the latest kernel breaking things like wifi/bluetooth, and a lot more. As @ricklinux asked, your inxi will help a lot. There’s also been some breaking of the r8126 or whatever it is wifi driver recently too. You shouldn’t be afraid of switching to lts kernel. That’s a pretty basic task. I would assume you can do that if you’re using EOS. The akm package can help you do so if you don’t know or want to do it via terminal.

http://ix.io/3onZ

You are using the latest kernel, I would start by switching to the lts. If that doesn’t work you do have realteck wifi, which has also been acting up, although not usually the one you have. Please start with that.

@farisarch
I see your wifi is RTL8723BE. Does it connect? Does it drop the connection? Or is it just too slow to use? I just want to understand what the issue is exactly. I assume you don’t have capability for Ethernet.

Yep, connection works and is very stable. Gaming,streaming and etc all works fine. Might be a kernel issue so I might try changing to lts kernel to see if it fixes as suggested by fbodymechanic

Currently on lts kernel and still unable to update. I might try changing DNS on the router.
http://ix.io/3oo2

This statement is contradictory? If you can’t update then it’s mirror issue. The original post say’s unable to update over WiFi.

There’s no issue with the hardware output. I just want to make sure you updated the mirrors to rule that out.

Edit: After also you could turn off your router for a couple of minutes or more. Then turn it back on and wait for it to reset everything before attempting to update again.

Sorry if there is an misunderstanding not a native speaker. What I’m trying to send out is that everything works fine except for updating my packages on the arch repo.
I can game, stream and update games on steam all fine. The only issue here is I can’t update my packages even after updating my mirrors. Pinging,curl,wget on the mirror works.
I’m not getting any connection drop or my connection is slow. Trying to install any software also doesn’t work. Changing the mirrors and updating it doesn’t work on wifi and only works through usb or hotspot connection.

1 Like

Could you please post the output of

yay -Sc

And then

pacman -Syyu

I want to see whatever error you get.

1 Like

Most of the issues i can find with the rtl8723be are to do with connection issues. Maybe try disabling ipv6 to try it.

It could be corrupt package cache and that’s why it’s not downloading?

I’ve had that happen a few times. It’s definitely possible. Compounded with an issue that he tried updating the mirrors after and made it worse. Sure.

Actually - they never were able to update mirrors. Package cache would be my next guess. Gotta start with the low hanging fruit first.

Only error for yay -Sc was

error: missing package metadata in /var/cache/pacman/pkg/c-ares-1.17.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst.part

Pacman -Syyu was the same

error: failed to update core (download library error)