Unable to start bluetooth service

Hi, my bluetooth was working fine and it suddenly stopped working.
When I check the status of bluetooth service it shows me this:

[schmitz@schmitz-endeavouros ~]$ systemctl start bluetooth
[schmitz@schmitz-endeavouros ~]$ systemctl status bluetooth
○ bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

feb 18 08:56:59 schmitz-endeavouros systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (Condit>
feb 18 14:46:06 schmitz-endeavouros systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (Condit>
feb 18 14:56:39 schmitz-endeavouros systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (Condit>
feb 18 14:57:02 schmitz-endeavouros systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (Condit>
feb 18 14:57:24 schmitz-endeavouros systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (Condit>
lines 1-10/10 (END)

Anyone has any idea on how to fix this?

Try:

sudo systemctl enable --now bluetooth.service

I had this same issue once and a reboot fixed it.

Check if the following line is in the config file at /etc/default/bluetooth.conf

BLUETOOTH_ENABLED=1

If nothing else works then add this as kernel parameter:

btusb.enable_autosuspend=n

Also, bluetooth and wifi are things that break regularly on latest/zen kernels - try LTS as well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve installed lts support but no success.

no luck, the first command didn’t work. I don’t have a /etc/default/bluetooth.conf directory. There is a bluetooth dir in /etc/bluetooth but it contains a file named ‘main.conf’ which doesn’t contain BLUETOOTH_ENABLED.
And I don’t know how to add a kernel parameter, I’ll have to look that up.
Also I’ve tried LTS support for the kernel like the other guys said but that didn’t work either.

I don’t know how to add a kernel parameter

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel_parameters

ok I did that but still no luck

Is the slider button on at the top right? It’s hard to tell as usually it is a different color when activated.

Is it possible to see the output of your network and some other hardware?

inxi -Na
lsusb

Post the url for dmesg output

sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog

Edit: Also url for full hardware output

inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
2 Likes

no the silder is not on, here are the requested commands:

[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ inxi -Na
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 driver: iwlwifi v: kernel pcie: gen: 2
    speed: 5 GT/s lanes: 1 bus-ID: 04:00.0 chip-ID: 8086:2723 class-ID: 0280
  Device-2: Intel I211 Gigabit Network vendor: Gigabyte driver: igb
    v: kernel pcie: gen: 1 speed: 2.5 GT/s lanes: 1 port: f000 bus-ID: 05:00.0
    chip-ID: 8086:1539 class-ID: 0200
[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 046d:0aba Logitech, Inc. PRO X Wireless Gaming Headset
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:c33f Logitech, Inc. G815 Mechanical Keyboard
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 046d:c539 Logitech, Inc. Lightspeed Receiver
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:0893 Logitech, Inc. StreamCam
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 048d:8297 Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT8297 RGB LED Controller
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ sudo dmesg | eos-sendlog
[sudo] password for schmitz: 
https://0x0.st/Hs-g.txt
[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ inxi -Faz | eos-sendlog
https://0x0.st/Hs-E.txt

I know it sounds unnecessary to ask, but: Do you have a hardware switch/function button to switch bluetooth off?

Did you try bluetoothctl and then power on in the terminal?

Edit: bluetoothctl is part of bluez-utils and I don’t remember if that was installed by default

1 Like

bluetooth is part of the motherboard, you can see its specs here

again, it worked fine before, I even connected my two xbox series x controllers through BT. And at some point it suddenly stopped working, I think after some recent system updates.

and using bluetoothctl doesn’t do anything, it just prints out:

[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ bluetoothctl
Waiting to connect to bluetoothd...

and it stays like that

Okay. What does sudo rfkill list return?

[schmitz@schmitz-x570aorusultra ~]$ sudo rfkill list
[sudo] password for schmitz: 
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no

my (uneducated) guess is that something(maybe an update) broke the kernel’s ability to communicate with the BT adapter from the mb.

Is there nothing more in the output from the rfkill list?
I would have expected bluetooth at least showing up, even if blocked…

From your dmesg outputs I saw that BLUETOOTH_ENABLED=1 and you use the lts-kernel. So that should be alright.

What is the rest of this line? I mean the entire output in the brackets after scrolling to the end?

Is there nothing more in the output from the rfkill list?

nope, that’s it

What is the rest of this line? I mean the entire output in the brackets after scrolling to the end?

this is the full output:

○ bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; preset: disabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)
       Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)

feb 18 21:01:17 schmitz-x570aorusultra systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionPathIsDirectory=/sys/class/bluetooth).
feb 18 22:38:49 schmitz-x570aorusultra systemd[1]: Bluetooth service was skipped because of an unmet condition check (ConditionPathIsDirectory=/sys/class/bluetooth).

Okay, so your bluetooth-adapter seems to be not recognized.

...UEFI: American Megatrends LLC. v: F36c date: 05/12/2022 ← from the inxi output.

Is it possible that it worked before this UEFI update?

There might be a fast boot option that doesn’t activate your bluetooth adapter. Could you check your UEFI boot options?

Also: Is bluetooth after a reboot still not recognized? Sometimes a reboot might lead to a recognition of the bluetooth adapter in case an UEFI fast boot is the problem.

Edit: [quote=“Schmitz, post:14, topic:37439”]
my (uneducated) guess is that something(maybe an update) broke the kernel’s ability to communicate with the BT adapter from the mb.
[/quote]
If you didn’t try it yet, you could install the latest stable kernel and boot it, if you are usually running the lts

i’ve tried already the latest stable kernel, in fact that’s what I used up until today. I installed LTS to try getting BT to work. And no that bios update is not the cause, it worked fined on it. I’ll check now if there’s some fast boot option enabled.

nope, fast boot disabled

…really strange issue

Indeed a bit strange…

It shouldn’t be the problem, but can you try disabling secure boot?

Edit: I was looking up your mainboard type in connection with bluetooth issues on the internet and came across an ErP (Energy-related Products) mode in UEFI. Apparently an energy saving mode that was causing bluetooth issues in some cases. It should be possible to disable it in UEFI according to the info I found.