Unable to find Endeavouros in boot disk selection

I’ve taken a look at Can't find EndeavourOS in boot loader after install Window 11 (as dual boot) - #7 by pebcak but cannot understand some bits.
Hello, I am posting here asking for help as after installing Endeavouros from a live usb, I cannot seem to find it in my boot disk selection menu. I originally had windows 10 and wanted to dual boot endeavouros with it. My hardware is a Lenovo x260 laptop. Unfortunately, I am posting from a different computer so copy pasting some chunky information may be hard for me (hard, but still possible). Any help possible? I can provide more detail, but right now I am unsure of what else to provide.
Am I cooked?

That post you have linked to, targets a quite specific “issue within the issue” that the OP of that thread had. Most probably it has nothing to do with what you are experiencing.

For us to be able to help, we would need some info about your set up. Please boot up your live usb and post the output of the following commands to begin with:

sudo parted -l
efibootmgr

Copy the terminal text, paste it into your reply, highlight it and press Ctrl-E to format.

Model: ATA Gigastone SS6200 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 256GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size    File system  Name                          Flags
 1      1049kB  274MB  273MB   fat32        EFI system partition          boot, hidden, esp, no_automount
 2      274MB   290MB  16.8MB               Microsoft reserved partition  msftres, no_automount
 3      290MB   181GB  181GB   ntfs         Basic data partition          msftdata
 5      181GB   255GB  73.9GB  ext4         endeavouros                   boot, esp
 4      255GB   256GB  1049MB  ntfs         Basic data partition          hidden, diag, no_automount

Model: VendorCo ProductCode (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 8053MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      1049kB  8053MB  8052MB  primary  fat32        boot, lba

Like this? I have also logged in on the live os now, copy pasting will be easier
efibootmgr also returns:
EFI variables are not supported on this system.

Appears you have booted the live iso in legacy/bios mode, not uefi. Also, was the EFI partition created by the EndeavourOS install? Windows typically would create a 100MB EFI partition. Since that does not appear to exist, I am guessing Windows was installed in legacy/bios mode. If so, why did you choose to install EndeavourOS in UEFI mode?

Sorry, I’m pretty new to using linux, is this something bad? If so, how do I boot into uefi mode?

It does seem that Windows is installed in UEFI mode:

This would be Windows’ ESP.

The size through me off, sorry. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Right. Interestingly, Windows installer sometimes creates a ca. 300 MB ESP partition. But you are right, normally it is 100 MB.

1 Like

Go into the firmware/bios settings and disable Legacy/Bios/MBR/CSM boot mode.
Keep only UEFI boot mode enabled.
Your live USB will boot automatically in UEFI mode.

Once in the live session, if you want to take the easy way out, reinstall EnOS’ by choosing the “replace partition” (or similar wording) in the installer and point it to the ext4 partition already present.

You can then choose systemd-boot (default) or Grub as bootloader.

If choosing systemd-boot, the installer should create a new ESP for your EnOS of the size 1 GB since that is where your kernel images will be housed.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’m going to try to reinstall since my installation is untouched, and it being probably the best answer, will keep updated. Also I heard somewhere that something needs to be set at 1gb and not 512mb for newer versions? Do I need to worry about this?

No.

If you choose systemd-boot as bootloader your kernel images will be placed in the ESP partition.
Given that the ESP already on the disk, that is the one from Windows is too small, you would need a second ESP for EnOS. The installer should take care of this automatically.

If you choose Grub as bootloader, the ESP already present (the one from Windows) will be used to install the Grub bootloader.

In any case, this is done automatically by the installer.

Alright, installing now.

Good Luck!

:crossed_fingers:t5:

Should I use GRUB or systemd-boot? The guide I’m following for dual booting with windows says to use grub.

That is up to you. Both should work equally fine.

Gonna leave for about an hour, hopefully the installer doesn’t brick it self :slightly_smiling_face:

Wow, that was a long hour. Anyways, right before leaving Endeavor os finished installing (that was fast) and I was able to successfully access and boot into endeavor os, so my problem is fixed! Anyways, thanks for all your help pebcak and exnix.

1 Like

That sounds great! Glad you got your system up and running!
Enjoy your EnOS and welcome to the community!
:enos: :handshake:t5:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.