UEFI or Bios During Arch install?

Here on my 2nd pc i used archfi to install Arch Linux/Xfce, I used auto partition during install with archfi. I noticed this

dad:~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 232.9G 0 disk
└─sda1 8:1 0 232.9G 0 part
nvme0n1 259:0 0 476.9G 0 disk
├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 31M 0 part
├─nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 512M 0 part /boot
├─nvme0n1p3 259:3 0 16G 0 part [SWAP]
└─nvme0n1p4 259:4 0 460.4G 0 part /

├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 31M 0 part Saw that scratched my head and plugged forward lol. Just now I do a lsblk as posted above and i get the read out.

31mb bios boot, this is my 2nd or 3rd time using archfi and never had this ├─nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 31M 0 part, so i looked in /sys/firmware/ and I see no efi folder. So does this mean I’m booting with bios then efi? Is it possible to switch to efi without re-installing? Other then a faster boot and secure boot, would i gain anything from a potential re-install?

Thanks!

Edit:Think i figured out where i went wrong, at the auto partition section I selected Auto Partitions (gpt) instead of Auto Partitions (gpt, efi). :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is using Archfi? Why did you not use EndeavourOS installer? :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Precisely. There are a few arch install helpers but they don’t remain stable for long. Either do a straight arch install from the Arch Wiki or let Endeavouros do it for you.

When using the archfi script it is best IMHO to not use automatic partitioning. Just do it manually and use cgdisk for a UEFI install.

The archfi Arch install script written by Matt Moul in collaboration with @FredBezies has been around for quite some time and works excellently. So does it’s counterpart archdi the desktop installer portion.

3 Likes

You have much more control over what packages you install with the script is all.

3 Likes

Archfi is excellent, and actively maintained.

@BONK Thank you for introducing it to me all those months ago. All of my installations are done with either Archfi or The Arch Way™.

3 Likes

This is on my 2nd machine, EndeavourOS Xfce is on 3 other pc in my house. :wink:

3 Likes

I’m just giving you a hard time. :wink: BTW i use EndeavourOS!

4 Likes

OK, I may give it a try on my external SSD which I use to try out different tiling window managers.

I know lol. :wink: