[Tutorial] How to Permanently Mount External/Internal Drives in Linux

Setting up anything within /mnt is a temporary solution. Create a directory like /foo and then add the line to your fstab. Don’t forget to reboot!

There is no issue with mounting things under /mnt

I have one HDD mounted under /mnt but when I tried mounting more than one I ran into issues. That led me into mounting another HDD under another mount point. It worked for me. Perhaps I misunderstood things but I was following the Arch and indeed UNIX way of mounting things and then adding those to my fstab. It seems to work, if I am wrong then I am listening.

There is nothing wrong with mounting them under /mnt and also nothing wrong mounting them in other places.

What about when you reboot, does it show up?

(deleted by author)

(post deleted by author)

2 things here: in Thunar preferences in the Advanced tab, do you have Enable Volume Management ticked. And also do you have thunar-volman installed?

(post deleted by author)

what for is needed that mount point? i have external SSD and when i want it will connect and after remove.

The whole point of the tutorial is to permanently mount a drive.

3 Likes

can it break system if i remove it without unmounting?

The system won’t break but you might lose data. But this tutorial was done for people who want to mount an external/internal drive for more permanent storage. If you want it to use the drive in a nonpermanent way system is capable of handling that through automount.

1 Like

once i tried to unmounting but it took long time to unmount and after i tried to restart System and system freezed. after i shutdown by pressing on button. I think recommended way is to un mounting right?

You can use sudo umount -a to unmount any drive that is mounted. Also, system freeze might happen due to the method you have used in fstab using systemd it lets the system continue booting.

This might not be the best method. There many other ways people use to mount drives.

Is it a good idea to have external usb drives permanently on?

They are not the most reliable of drives to begin with, permanently on their life expectancy will like drop.

Was thinking more about external hard drives and SSD’s. Not USB sticks.

1 Like

I have a laptop with both a SSD (used for :enos: ) and a hard drive (used for :musical_note: :video_camera: ). If I want to listen to my music and watch my videos, I need to mount the hard drive. This is much more straightforward if I have permanently mounted it.

1 Like

I always use Gnome Disks to edit mount options. Easy.

3 Likes

Me too. They tend to be lower quality with shorter life expectancies anyway, definitely not suited to being left on permenantly.