Translate post install + welcome screen via Weblate?

I would love to contribute back to the project by providing translations for the EndeavourOS specific packages since Calamares is already fully translated in the languages of interest. To my knowledge the instructions popup post install (at least with the netinstaller) and welcome screen don’t have an upstream repo to translate. Thus, I’d like to propose that these EndeavourOS specific parts’ strings utilize Weblate (which offers free pricing for FOSS) so myself (and others) can easily translate and make it easier for other folk to run post install instructions or navigate the welcome menu.

2 Likes

I’m seeing there is an effort going on… But nothing really advanced right now.

2 Likes

@manuel?

1 Like

The translation framework is already done, and currently there are only a very small number of translations made (English, Finnish, and German (mostly)). The translations are based on simple bash script files (each language in its own file), so that format needs to be used.

The English translation file is here: https://github.com/endeavouros-team/PKGBUILDS/blob/master/welcome/translations-welcome-en.bash and it is the right place to start.

2 Likes

French translation? In about one hour or so :smiley:

@FLVAL looks like you’ll need to review my translations :smiley:

1 Like

Salut @FredBezies, la traduction de la Welcome App est déjà faîte de mon côté.
Cela fait un moment, lorsque j’ai jeté un oeil sur YAD. depuis elle a changé pas mal…

1 Like

Merde… Je t’enverrais quand même ma version, comme cela tu pourras voir mes propositions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oui, de toute façon la Welcome App a tellement changé, il y a moins d’onglets mais plus de boutons…beaucoup n’étaient pas présents quand je l’ai traduite.
Tu peux m’envoyer par email. Faudra que je te montre ce que j’ai en traduc pour éviter le doublon…

Il y a du WIKI à faire…

1 Like

Hello and sorry for not understating.
The Welcome app needs to be translated by using Weblate?

1 Like

No, it was simply a suggestion that the core contributors hookup the welcome package to Weblate to make it easier for folk to localize (e.g. when the source gets updated by adding new strings, etc it would get instantly reflect across all languages in Weblate there’s untranslated strings). However, *.bash files are not supported by Weblate at this time.

If you want to help contribute a localization to the welcome package based on my present understanding you’d need to clone, copy the -en.bash, rename it appropriately, localize via your favorite offline tool like Lokalize, and pull request it back in.

1 Like

this one?
1 Like

Correct. In your case assuming Romanian and the language format is ISO 639-1, you’d make a copy and name it translations-welcome-ro.bash

1 Like

Understand. Will try to get it done.

1 Like

and welcome at the forum ! thanks for contributing idea!

actually we need to know how to create pot files :), Poedit makes live easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a little typo I’d like to note:
It’s

Forum Tipps

and not tips :smiley_cat:

@spacepig
Thanks, I’ll fix it to the next release.