Touchpad swipe gestures not present in KDE

I know that a version of current KDE (don’t remember what number it is, but remember it is under KDE 24) got touchpad swipe gestures for laptops. I haven’t been able to find the settings to enable these settings.
How can I enable these gestures?
Do these depend on Wayland drivers or should I just wait a bit longer for KDE 25?

I am fairly interested in using these gestures on KDE.

1 Like

I am not a regular Plasma user. However I do have and maintain an Arch-Plasma system for the purpose of testing.

I have had touchpad gestures on Plasma 24 under Wayland.

I have now upgraded to Plasma 25 from the testing repo.
I tested to log in on X11. No gestures available. In Wayland, there are.

Alright, thank you for the information.

Is it enough for me to install Wayland yay -S wayland ?

Please see here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Plasma#Installation

To enable support for Wayland in Plasma, also install the plasma-wayland-session package. If you are an NVIDIA user, also install egl-wayland, and if the session does not start with the proprietary nvidia driver, also enable the DRM kernel mode setting. If that does not work, too, check the instructions on the KDE wiki.

I am not an Nvidia user, so I can’t be of much help in that area.

1 Like

sudo pacman -S xdotool
yay -S libinput-gestures gestures
sudo gpasswd -a [name] input
libinput-gestures-setup autostart

always did it for me irrespective of the DE - configure what you like, 3 or 4 finger swipes, swirls etc

2 Likes

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. After installing plasma-wayland-session and egl-wayland, rebooting and selecting Wayland before logging in, the gestures work.
The swipe gestures are a bit rough around the edges, but I like them, and I know it will become better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are welcome!
Glad I could be of any help and that you got it working!

You are right. That is my experience as well but hopefully, as you say, it will become better!

:enos_flag:

if the built in ones are rough, and i take it that means its a bit hit and miss on occasions, the gesture app works butterly smooth on multiple laps to date. Obviously, if used, turn off the crap ones first.

1 Like

I know of libinput-gestures, but I actually wanted to try out the KDE version this time around. But thank you anyway for the input.

i was actually replying to pebcak,but you’re welcome and enjoy. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you’d like to keep x11, I setup my plasma with touche/touchegg to work very similarly to Wayland gestures from Gnome.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.